Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed thousands of post credits have been eliminated? I’m reasonably certain Dr.G was Very North of 35,000 mark.
I’ve lost a few pounds as well. According to this screenshot I took a long time ago as a thread note.Maybe more than just a few pounds. What if a new member was two days beyond six months and their post counts were cut in half?
Not Cool:(

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Now that you mention it, my count seems to have dropped slightly in the past few days. Has the site maybe purged some threads, in turn affecting post counts?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Now that you mention it, my count seems to have dropped slightly in the past few days. Has the site maybe purged some threads, in turn affecting post counts?
Ha! If that was the case, I'd probably be down to about 20 posts. Speaking of which (and DARE I mention/ask), what happened to the worthwhile and lively debate about the marketplace? I was gone yesterday and visited last night........poof.......gone, like it never happened. Then again, I'm not shocked.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,948 Posts
This is not something we SOTW mods/admins have power over. It's a database thing.

They can fluctuate I think if if a big thread gets deleted, or they have somehow got out of whack and then a recount is run on the database (which as mentioned is not something a lowly mod such as myself would have access to)

BUT, your screenshot you show of your own stats cannot be explained by the above - it's almost 2k posts.

So although I wish I could give you an answer i am baffled.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
LOL - I have noticed things going the other way - like people being SOTW as long as me having 30,000 posts more than me, but thats another story. LOL

·
28,948 Posts
I think the thing may to basically not bother about it because

1. Does it make so much difference? It isn't a qulity counter, it's a quantity counter.
2. The software is too old and clunky to work properly anyway. (Beyond my/our control)

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That screenshot was taken in June 28,2019. The deduction is recent. Deleted threads or posts? Wouldn’t that be an excessive amount of archive to delete? I can’t find a single one of my subscriptions or bookmarks threads that have been deleted.
Approximately 2000 +have been wiped from my counter.
Anyone have a wife that would like a few years removed off your anniversary date? Is 50 the new 25th :toothy7:

·
28,948 Posts
That screenshot was taken in June 28,2019. The deduction is recent. Deleted threads or posts? Wouldn’t that be an excessive amount of archive to delete? I can’t find a single one of my subscriptions or bookmarks threads that have been deleted.
Approximately 2000 +have been wiped from my counter.
Yes indeed. I thought I had added in my post that 2k posts was too meny to discount and that I was totally mysitified by how that could have happened. But obviously it did and I cannot begin to think what could have happened.
So I apologise for missing that bit out from my above post. And sorry it doesn't get any closer to solving why it happened.

I didn't mean to make light when I said "does it really matter" because I went on in the post to say that your case was different to the expected few posts difference.

I am very confused as to how some of my post then seemed to have just got wiped.

Curiouser and curioser...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I believe the great post count purge happened in the past few days only, at least for me. I could be wrong, but seem to recall remarking recently that my own count was up over 2300, but today it's down a few hundred.

Is it possible that when a certain closed thread was recently deleted, a bunch of other threads were inadvertently deleted along with it, affecting the post count? If so, that'd be seriously troubling.

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mysteries of the universe. Maybe it’s converting Canadian counting to US counting. The yard is shorter than a meter.

·
28,948 Posts
I believe the great post count purge happened in the past few days only, at least for me. I could be wrong, but seem to recall remarking recently that my own count was up over 2300, but today it's down a few hundred.

Is it possible that when a certain closed thread was recently deleted, a bunch of other threads were inadvertently deleted along with it, affecting the post count? If so, that'd be seriously troubling.
Not possible. In fact I just looked and no thread was deleted in the last week, a couple were removed from view.

It is not actually possible to totally delete a thread , and even if that option was there for us it would be impossible to inadvertently delete others along with it.

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A new episode of The X-Files. There is no obvious or intentional reason for the change. Many new black hole discoveries as of recent. Maybe the math dimension needed a few numbers to fill the void. Anyone missing A few thousand from their bank account? Lol

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
12,082 Posts
When the Name Games etc were moved to a different section, I was suddenly down 10,000 posts.:scratch:

·
Registered
821 Posts
When the Name Games etc were moved to a different section, I was suddenly down 10,000 posts.:scratch:
Perhaps certain sections do not get included in post counts?
This is the most logical reason so far.
I do think post counts matter, gives folks a sense of senority and depth of sorts, and gives others a sense of how committed that person is to this forum, which for me is useful info.
Someone that has dedicated enough time to post 1,000s or 10,000s of posts should be acknowledged in for their contributions via post counts.

The old TrumpetMaster forum (now defunct) also had titles for bands of post counts that you 'earned' as you contined to post, which were alway fun to see when you got a new title under your name and some were very funny.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
While there's probably no harm in gamifying the site with titles or badges, I'd settle for an accurate post count that doesn't change radically and arbitrarily without explanation.

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yikes that’s a lot of weight loss. I didn’t think about the games being moved. That would make sense though. I usually play games when klanking-borg thingy threads are quiet. Keeps the noggin thinking about music, talent & history....non important stuff.

Hello Pete....can anyone get a refund lol. Maybe VS could help by end of this century.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts