Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a customer's saxophone that was played by his grandfather who supposedly was a professional player and stored for many years. It is a King Voll-True III from about 1930.

View attachment 215536 View attachment 215526 View attachment 215534 View attachment 215530 View attachment 215532

It took nearly 8 hours just to clean the hardened "sludge" from the body and keys. It took generous amounts of Goo Gone followed by brushing with a stiff brush and then a trip to the car wash to use the high powered soap spray and rinse.

Design flaws, years of abuse, amateur repairs, and lack of maintenance made this one of the most difficult overhauls I have ever had come across my bench. Here is an after photo. More "after" photos showing the features of this King Voll-True III can be seen at:
http://s162.photobucket.com/user/jbtsax/slideshow/King Voll True III

View attachment 215522

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I've worked on similar; the goo was what he blew out the side of his lips - presumably loose tissue from a decidedly unhealthy mouth.. Reachworthy!
Ugh!

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
647 Posts
Nasty.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Excellent job, John! I have a regular customer who evidently spits more outside of his mouthpiece than into it. Only takes a matter of months for him to consistently bring his horn(s) to me to "de-gunk". I keep my hazmat suit handy!

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
661 Posts
Wow--looks like it was stored in a salt-water aquarium. Really nice restoration on a horn that would have sent a lot of techs running away screaming. Congratulations, and I hope the owner appreciates it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Voll True II, no ?

I do not believe they ever made a VT-III.

Yeah, that seems like it would've been a bear. Compliments to your perseverance.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Voll True II, no ?

I do not believe they ever made a VT-III.

Yeah, that seems like it would've been a bear. Compliments to your perseverance.
Thank you. If you go to the link showing additional photos and look closely at the photo of the bell you will see the III.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any guidelines/tips for restoring a voll true alto? It's hard to find quality information about that type of sax.
I have been repairing and restoring saxophones professionally for nearly 20 years and this one really tested my abilities. I would not recommend an amateur take one on.

Did that ugly soldering around the thumb hook clean up good? Pictures?
It did and sorry I didn't get any after pictures that showed the thumb hook. :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
I have been repairing and restoring saxophones professionally for nearly 20 years and this one really tested my abilities. I would not recommend an amateur take one on.
:(
Impressive, you did a really nice job on it, definitely no rookie task. I’m really curious as to how the Goo Gone performed. I’ve used that product to remove stickers/adhesive off of hardshell cases. It also removed any writing done in black sharpie, a lacquer product. And the reason for my question.

Had some good success placing rubber mats in the bottom of the bathtub. Then soaking the instrument in warm water and Dawn dish detergent. Stubborn petroleum areas I cleaned with simple green diluted. Although I have not attempted to use simple green on silver it’s never been any problem on other metals I’ve cleaned

1 - 18 of 18 Posts