Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after nearly 8 months of intensive therapy, I believe my hands have improved to the point where I can finally play a vintage horn. Different heat, and massage therapies, as well as a positive change in diet and supplements, have strengthened my hand and I no longer need to wear a brace. My gigs have been less painful and my practice sessions, with some discipline, have been nearly pain free.

Needless to say I'm really excited about the possibility of playing vintage horns full time again. And, of course, I need to check out the Martins once more.

I have a "The Martin Alto" coming from Sarge...the 200,xxx on his site. Premium vintage rebuild, small, flat metal resos, chemical lacquer removal, all to be done by the end of this coming week.

Will report back when I have it in my hands...

Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
That sure is good news on both fronts Saxaholic.I know how it is, arthritis in both hands.Your soon to be new horn sounds like the business.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phil, Ed: Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Jason: Who doesn't? But don't you play a Super 20 now?

Saxaholic

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
I busted my left wrist up pretty bad a couple years ago. My whole forearm and hand swelled up like a baseball bat. Surgery, titanium plates and therapy for six months has made all better. I feel for you.

I'll keep my eye out for ya'

:cyclopsa:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
Saxaholic said:
Well, after nearly 8 months of intensive therapy, I believe my hands have improved to the point where I can finally play a vintage horn. Different heat, and massage therapies, as well as a positive change in diet and supplements, have strengthened my hand and I no longer need to wear a brace. My gigs have been less painful and my practice sessions, with some discipline, have been nearly pain free.
Good to hear that. It's a very good new!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Let us know how you get on with it Saxaholic.Boot has made it sound mystical.

·
3,002 Posts
It is mystical!!
I've had my Committee alto for a year now and I'm busting to get a handcraft soprano!! ITS THE SOUND!!!!

·
6,862 Posts
Hey Saxaholic:
Great news all around! (A good way to get that lyric lady out of your head:D )

R.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
hsitz said:
Didn't I see that you sold your Martin Tenor not too long ago?
The story goes that I sold my first Martin (a Music man model) to Randall (I think however that now it's with Jason Dumars) and then missed it badly soon after.
I then purchased other 3 and will keep one. One is still for sale, a truly wonderful relacquer with great intonation and zero issues: I just prefer another one that has more warmth (but less projection and volume) to the tone.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just got my The Martin Tenor adjusted. Holy Cow!!!!!! What a great horn! I hadn't played it in over a year, so I was thinking of selling it. But after just playing it.......NO WAY! I played it side-by-side with my P. Mauriat 66R. They sound so damn close, but my 66R is a shade more focused. I've tried quite a few other The Martin Tenors, and mine is the most lush sounding I've tried. I can't imagine finding a better sounding tenor.

later

Joel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts