Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just Saw 3 New Guardala Alto Pieces On Sax Uk.!!! King-superking-and Crescent (r&b Bebop) I Am Curious, Is Guardala Making A Sop Soon? I Played A Guar. Sop Years Ago But Could Not Obtain It What A Great Sop Mpc...any Information?

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Dave Guardala has apparently given out the rights to his name to multiple mouthpiece makers. This may not have been done legally.

The new Guardalas are not made by the same team that started the business. Most of them are still fine mouthpieces. But the PMS tenors do not adhear to the original designs. The WW&BW tenors are better copies. I have not see the PMS altos. I would not be surprised if PMS put out a sop MP.

http://www.pms-music.de/Mundstucke/...la_Mouthpieces/dave_guardala_mouthpieces.html

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
That's very interesting. I wonder if Branford knows that his name is being used on a Guardala piece again, especially considering that he plays a Lebayle (I think) these days. (It might be a Francois Louis, I can't remember.) You'll notice that the Brecker piece is called the "MBII" as opposed to the "Brecker II".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
J.Max said:
That's very interesting. I wonder if Branford knows that his name is being used on a Guardala piece again, especially considering that he plays a Lebayle (I think) these days. (It might be a Francois Louis, I can't remember.) You'll notice that the Brecker piece is called the "MBII" as opposed to the "Brecker II".
It's Michael Brecker II on the packaging. I think they get away with it because the MB II, and now the BM, (Stop laughing Beevis!), are based on models of mouthpieces with those names. There's a nice, big, fat grey area. 'Got to admit that the pic of the BM looks dead-on with the old Marsalis model pieces I've seen.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Where is Guardala these days? I would think as much as his mouthpieces are going for he'd start his shop back up and pull down some serious money.

This guy seems to have completely disappeared.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
At PMS they are thinking of making them. I spoke to the owner about guardalas for bari on the phone and he just replied if there is an interest for over 30 mouthpieces he´ll make them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
wersax said:
This link would go a long way in explaining Mr Guardala's situation :
http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49879
Wow looks like Dave's gone off the deep end. He seems to be a shadowy figure that no one can find. Still he should have kept himself straight and just stuck to the buisness at hand of making mouthpieces. Living for 10 years on the run has got to be exhausting for the poor sap.

Any ideas on what caused him to crack and go insane?

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Dr_sax said:
At PMS they are thinking of making them. I spoke to the owner about guardalas for bari on the phone and he just replied if there is an interest for over 30 mouthpieces he´ll make them.
BMs at PMS. Hmmmm...

·
7,892 Posts
There have been rumors swirling about him since the late 80s-early 90s...I have heard some particularly disturbing ones involving drug addiction, but I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHETHER THEY ARE TRUE. He's always been a little shady, but now it seems like it's more out in the open.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
J.Max said:
There have been rumors swirling about him since the late 80s-early 90s...I have heard some particularly disturbing ones involving drug addiction, but I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHETHER THEY ARE TRUE. He's always been a little shady, but now it seems like it's more out in the open.
Carl Coen (Cohen?) says that he really did live in Dave Liebman's basement, along with his grandmother's house.

·
7,892 Posts
Martinman said:
Carl Coen (Cohen?) says that he really did live in Dave Liebman's basement, along with his grandmother's house.
Yeah, that was one of the big rumors. Supposedly, Liebman caught Guardala doing drugs while living in his basement, threw him out, and switched to Sugal. I have no idea whether this is true, but it makes sense. I remember that the situation was a bit strange because in one WWBW catalog, Guardala had a Liebman model piece, and then in the very next one, Sugal had one and WWBW was still trying to sell the old Guardala models.

Again, I have no idea as to whether that particular rumor is true, so take it for what it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts