Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Last month, I got an email from a man in Belgium… looking for a saxophone teacher for his 2 children. He wanted to know if I would be home between some different dates… He was going to arrange for them to stay in my area, and come over for lessons every day for one month.

I was at first very excited about it. I mean, out of nowhere this man wanted to send me a check for $6000 to teach his children for one month.

He wanted all this personal information about me - and this set off "warning" alarms in my mind.

I finally just asked him to contact my lawyer, and we could handle everything through him - with a binding contract. Never heard from him again. I mean - the way I look at it - if I was going to send my children to a stranger - I would take comfort in knowing that there was legal documentation…

So today I get another similar email from someone else:
Hello,
I am Mrs.Whitney Sharron.
I was ask to contact you on (Jazz Saxophonist ) leason
Well my Daughter( Victoria)is coming to stay with his freind for some
couple of weeks in the U.S.A and he loves music. i want you to help
me teaching her (Jazz Saxophonist ).
However you are based on recomendation from a freind in the states,So
Note:my Daughter Victoria is just a beginner. so plaese kindly teach
him well.So kindly let me know your charges cost per week's ,in
other for me to arrange for his payment before he travells down to
your side. i have even made preparation for her personal (Jazz Saxophonist ) he
will be using priavtly at home after class practise. Please Advise
back on
1. How many week will he use...
2. weekly charge's and payment method( Let me know if you will accept
usa bank cheque ,credit card or Money order)
I look up to your reply regarding that.
Best regards
Mrs.James
You may call me on…
(number left out)

People…. Beware. Is this a new internet scam? You have to give certain personal information out - in order to get paid.

It could be totally harmless - adults just looking for a constructive use of their children's time while on vacation - so they are not gallivanting around the US on their own…. But it seems fishy to me. Anyone else get any emails of this type?

-Niewood

·
Registered
711 Posts
hi adam

not really a teacher (although i've done a bit here and there) so not a professional opinion as such but.....

firstly, nigerian style english .... never good
secondly, offering a large amount of cash upfront tends to make people less cautious (or more greedy!)
thirdly, i'm not sure about handing over personal info but my guess as how this would run is that the 'parent' would send you a check for 5 weeks tuition then change their mind ask for a weeks money back ( as they now only want four). of course their check will bounce leaving you out of pocket.

of course i could be wrong ..........!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,420 Posts
I've had e-mails like these in the past when I've tried to sell stuff on the internet. They want your bank info etc. through a third party and before you know it you've been cleaned out. I found it amusing to keep writing them asking questions to hear what they come up with for explanations.

Ha

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,395 Posts
Hi Adam,

Wouldn't accepting payment via a clearing-house such as Paypal add some protection and anonymity? All THEY need is a visa card, and all you need to provide to the customer is an e-mail address.

But, to your point, this seems awfully fishy.... which usually means its a scam. Trust your gut!

Pete

·
Registered
635 Posts
New version of the teacher scam

So I get the following email the other day:
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 6:37 AM
Subject: MUSIC TEACHER

Hi,
I am looking for a private music teacher! for my daughter, she is a beginner, and if you can help me to have her under your tutorship i will be highly greatfull but that's about all. Can you give me more info about your cv and how we should proceed?
Regards,
Mr.Nacce Williams
I'm a little suspicious, but want to be polite just in case it's legit so I respond:
I am a private saxophone instructor based in Burlington, MA. I teach out of my home and also out of XXX Music Co. in Woburn, MA on Saturday mornings. I teach both beginning and intermediate students and children as well as adults. My rates are $20/half hour lesson.

Does your daughter currently play saxophone? How long has she been playing? Do you own or rent an instrument?

I look forward to discussing your daughter's musical education with you,
Thank you for contacting me,
Larry G
He replies:
She had been playing saxophone for the past 2 weeks,a beginner so i'll like you to tell me the total amount for 3 mount lesson.
Now, normally, I don't mount my young female students, so I'm assuming (a) it's a typo and (b) he has problems with simple math, so I help him along...
Hello Mr. Williams,

If we have weekly lessons, then it would be $20/week (for a half-hour lesson) X 12 weeks = $240. How old is your daughter and in which town do you live? Do you think you could come to the XXX Music store in Woburn?

Thank you for your interest,
Larry G
I must be wearing him down, he finally comes to heart of the matter:
Hi Larry G,
Thanks for your email,my Daughter is coming to
stay with my cousin in IL for the period of his
learning starting from october10th.You are going to
receive the payment before the date, i have contacted
my business associate that he should make my
funds{$2500} available in payment of some farm
equipment i supplied to him.He assured me he would making
the payments (Money Order) available. I will
instruct him to get the check across to you
(ASAP) and as soon as you cash the check you would
need to deduct your amount of ($240) from the total
of ($2500) and send the remaining balance to my cousin
sister via Western Union Money Transfer who would be
using the money to care of my son and buy some text
books for him for practising at home.I will like you
to get to me with your payment information i.e name to
be written on the check and mailing address .
Regards.
Ok, this was fun, but now that he's exposed himself, I can finally tell him to go screw:
Dear "Mr. Williams"

Nice try. How stupid do you think I am?

Contact me again and I send all of our correspondence to the FBI.
and I block him. Jeez. A guy just tries to make an honest living and they come crawling out of the woodwork...:x

Anyways, They are out there - BEWARE!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've gotten a number of these emails recently - received one today, as a matter of fact:

Hello,
Good day to you over there,i am Mr Wayne Bippes
from Anchorage,Alaska.I need Music tutor for my
son (John), i got your advert while surfing
through the internet and i really want my child to be
taught by you.John is 18 year old and easily catch
up.Although,i understand you are in (NJ) but i've
arranged with my cousin sister living there that
my son is coming to stay with her for his period of
tutoring and she had agreed with me,.I
want you to get back to me with following details:
1)your present residence address and telephone
number
2)total cost of tutoring for three months(2 hours
per day)
3)your years of teaching experience.
Payment via cashier's check or money order,looking
forward to hearing from you soonest.
Regards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Possible Teaching Scam

Yesterday I received a strange e-mail from a Rev. Wayne Bippes supposedly from The Netherland. He wants several lessons for his 19 year-old daughter who will live with his brother in the U.S. for the lessons (Hah??). He wanted background information from me.

I decided to Google this Rev Wayne Bippes and found your website. I am glad I did and thank you for the posts on this "new" scam.

I also clicked on a website with info on Rev Wayne Bippes who is apparently with a church in Utah. It may or may not be the same person. Could not contact him via the website.

Beware.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
This is an ageing scam now. Ther have been a few posts about these before. Usual stuff, they send you a cheque containing more money than the lessons cost and you give the balance to their representative, before their clears. Then, guess what, their cheque bounces.

·
Registered
538 Posts
They're probably monitoring this forum right now. I bet if I said right here that I give out private instruction on the saxophone, I could expect an email in a week or two.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Was it like this one I recieved today...i've had loads of them.

Hello,

I am Mary Evans from Dublin,Ireland during my search for a Saxophone Lessons teacher that would always take my Son (JEFF) and I found your advert.Your advert looks great and it is very okay to me since you specialize in the area I am seeking for him.

My Son will be coming to the United Kingdom before the endding of next month march for 3 Months.He is just 12yr Old and also a beginner,I want you to help me teach him Saxophone Lessons during his stay in the United Kingdom.

So, kindly let me know your charges cost per week in order for me to arrange for his payment before he travels down to your country.I would also like to know if their is any Text Book you will recommend for him as a beginner so that he will be reading privately at home after the lesson during his stay.

Please Advise back on;

(1). your charges per 1 hour twice a week for 4 Months?

(2).The Day and time you will be available to teach him During the week?

(3).Tuition address?

I will be looking forward to read from you soonest.

Best Regards,

MRS MARY EVANS

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,918 Posts
Was it like this one I recieved today...i've had loads of them.

Hello,

I am Mary Evans from Dublin,Ireland during my search for a Saxophone Lessons teacher that would always take my Son (JEFF) and I found your advert.Your advert looks great and it is very okay to me since you specialize in the area I am seeking for him.

My Son will be coming to the United Kingdom before the endding of next month march for 3 Months.He is just 12yr Old and also a beginner,I want you to help me teach him Saxophone Lessons during his stay in the United Kingdom.

So, kindly let me know your charges cost per week in order for me to arrange for his payment before he travels down to your country.I would also like to know if their is any Text Book you will recommend for him as a beginner so that he will be reading privately at home after the lesson during his stay.

Please Advise back on;

(1). your charges per 1 hour twice a week for 4 Months?

(2).The Day and time you will be available to teach him During the week?

(3).Tuition address?

I will be looking forward to read from you soonest.

Best Regards,

MRS MARY EVANS
I got this one today too.

Actually wrote back, just to see if there was any reply. I said Canada's a big place - where would he be? Got a one word reply - Toronto. Huh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Description- This is What the Scam Works!!!!

Untrustworthy individuals who say they want to sign someone up for music lessons contact me about five times a year. I often follow thru with all of the motions that they ask of me, just to waste their time. It doesn't waste much of my time because I use pre-written answers for all of their questions. These people don't blatantly ask for your social security number, or any bank account information. Here's how the scam works:

- A person contacts you via email with a request to sign someone up for music lessons.
- The potential student usually has poor writing skills (English) or a strange name, but THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE.
- The person asks to pay for a large block of lessons in advance.
- The potential student asks you for the name of the person who should receive payment and the address that the payment should be sent to.
- The payment is sent using any possible carrier (ex. UPS, Fed Ex, Regular Mail) and sometimes a signature is required to receive it.
- The payment is in the form of a check or money order.
- The check or money order is a photocopied FAKE.
- The check or money order is written for more than the requested amount.
- The potential student asks you to return the amount of the overpayment via a wire transfer (ex. Western Union) to any location (ex. United States, Europe, Africa etc.)
- The scammer usually calls you the day that you received the check to make sure that you are going to immediately wire transfer the "refund" to them.

An ideal situation would have the victim "cash" the check into his or her own account. The bank doesn't verify if a check is legitimate, they assume that it is, and they give you the amount you have requested. You think the checked "cleared" and you send the money via a wire transfer to the scammer. In a few days, the bank verifies that the check is counterfeit, and the funds they provided to you are applied against your account along with any overdraft fees etc. I think the banks should make it clear that there is no such thing as "cashing" a check. You are always ultimately responsible for any cash that you receive from any bank.

The reason why I am aware of how this works is because I received a check from an illegitimate source. I knew it was questionable, so I brought it to my bank and explained the situation. Even after I explained the scenario to the teller, she made the motions to "cash" the check. I continued to ask her if I was liable for the withdrawal if the check did not have the funds to back it up. I had to ask multiple employees of the bank how the system of cashing a check works before I got a straight answer. I decided not to attempt to cash the check.

I have had students pay me in advance with a personal check sent via the mail, but I have to wait weeks before I can verify that the check is valid. To make things more confusing the bank will not verify if the funds from a particular check have been deposited into your account. Ultimately, if you don't send any refunds to potential students, you should be safe. When a student arrives to your studio, you will know the transaction is legitimate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.