Sax on the Web Forum banner

Possible Health Problem from Growling/Flutter Effect?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cjsaxman 
I do both techniques that you describe and sometimes combine them for a more dramatic effect. I find that the flutter tongue works best when you bite less onto the mouthpiece and tilt the head back a little to allow more room inside of your mouth and so that the tip of your tongue in motion just very lightly touches the tip of the mouthpiece.

The 2nd technique you describe is a growl and is different from the flutter tongue (though some people don’t hear the difference) – Some people describe it as “Gurgling”, but humming a note works as well. Try humming different notes and see what happens. Just don’t scream or you might hurt your vocal cords :bluewink:

As far as discomfort goes, occasionally when growling, the passage between my mouth and nose sometimes opens, either because of fatigue, too much force or I’m not sure what – The result is that air goes out my nose and when that happens the inside of my mouth and throat gets dry quickly. Over a certain period of time (like 2 minutes or +) it makes me feel like I’m choking. The problem gets easilly resolved by drinking water.

So I wouldn’t worry so much if I were you. Your health isn’t in danger. It is just not normal to growl or flutter tongue non-stop. These effects should be used sporadically for greater impact. I understand that you are practicing, so perhaps give yourself more breaks when practicing that, or alternate with other things you need to practice and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

Happy blowing :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.