Sax on the Web Forum banner

Possible Health Problem from Growling/Flutter Effect?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cjsaxman 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a young player (14) learning the tenor saxophone for a few years now. I've been searching up methods of flutter tonguing/growling effect, and I read that one needs to roll their tongue to make a "rrrrr" sound in the standard technique used for flutter tonguing. I tried it, but I couldn't roll my tongue at all. Then I found a description of a "French" (?) way to make the same effect, by vibrating the soft palate (?), kinda like gurgling. I tried it, and by kind of snorting (? sounds kind of like horrible snoring), I was able to replicate the effect. The problem is that I felt a mild sort of discomfort (Not really pain) in my throat/soft palate after 10 minutes of practicing the effect. This got better after I stopped playing and drank some tea.
My question is, could this practice possibly lead to health problems in my throat if I keep using it in the future?
My other question is, are there other alternative ways to flutter tongue other than this method or the standard method is rolling your tongue? I could learn to growl by humming at the same time, but I never got the hang of it.

Thank you for the replies in advance :)

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys!
I'm probably going to practice the technique just a bit more so I can call upon it comfortably during a solo situation. I'll try out the humming/singing technique a bit more though/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.