Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Looks fine to me, what makes you think it's a scam?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
The one thing that seems kind of weird to me is the thing about the money going to an orphanage to "start a goat farm in Malawi." Is that supposed to be a buying incentive? It just seems strange to me. I don't see why they'd even mention that goat farm, even if it's true. So yeah, bit of a red flag....

·
Banned
66 Posts
Having actually photos of the actual sax makes me think it's probably legitimate.

Having a seller that hasn't listed anything for 5 years before this makes me think the account might be stolen. However, his latest feedback as a buyer is just from last year.

So, I dunno.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Could be legit. There's a charity here in Arkansas that sends farm animals all over the world to needy folks. So the charity angle might be okay.

However, this person hasn't sold anything in a very long time. And they only bought one thing in all of last year. People who use eBay all the time, will notice strange activity very quickly. So it's much easier to steal an account from someone like this that doesn't use their account much.

For an item in this price range, I would need more assurances before I would buy from someone like this seller with a practically dormant eBay account. This auction might be a good candidate for one of the escrow services recommended by eBay.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
Very strange that people just take any ebay auction and claim it could be a scam without mentioning why. This is the second one I've noticed that someone has brought up in a couple of days that seems just fine and the o.p. states no reason whatsoever why it could be a scam. If I were one of those sellers I would not be happy.

The only part that seems fishy to me is the high price of the Selmer. They top out at about $1000 less than that asking price. I'm not sure anyone wants Ref. 54 altos unless they are way below that price.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very strange that people just take any ebay auction and claim it could be a scam without mentioning why.
There is a huge difference between claiming something and guessing. In my first post I simply guessed whether it could be a possible scam and never claimed or stated that it actually was. The seller has no recent activities and stating that all the proceeds will go the farm in Africa sounded kind of, well, not very true to me. There are lots of cases these days when eBay accounts are stolen and people lose money. Extra precaution and asking for other people's opinion never hurts.

·
2,874 Posts
There is a huge difference between claiming something and guessing. In my first post I simply guessed whether it could be a possible scam and never claimed or stated that it actually was. The seller has no recent activities and stating that all the proceeds will go the farm in Africa sounded kind of, well, not very true to me. There are lots of cases these days when eBay accounts are stolen and people lose money. Extra precaution and asking for other people's opinion never hurts.
Why didn't you post the reasons for your "guessing that it could be a possible scam" to start? Why throw out "Possible eBay scam" without giving a reason? I could have said, "Very strange that people just take any ebay auction and GUESS that it could be a scam" and it would mean the same thing. If you are going to drive bidders away from someone's auction, you should state a good reason for doing so.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
Very strange that people just take any ebay auction and claim it could be a scam without mentioning why. This is the second one I've noticed that someone has brought up in a couple of days that seems just fine and the o.p. states no reason whatsoever why it could be a scam. If I were one of those sellers I would not be happy.

The only part that seems fishy to me is the high price of the Selmer. They top out at about $1000 less than that asking price. I'm not sure anyone wants Ref. 54 altos unless they are way below that price.
i agree the OP didn't say why in the first post, but maybe he wanted to see what our 'unbiased' reaction would be. I did say why it looked at least suspicious to me......the whole orphanage thing in Africa, which I still think is total BS and I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. But then if I get even the slightest whiff of a scam, I stay clear. And I also agree that buy-it-now price is high for an ebay "charity" item. I realize the buy-it-now price has nothing to do with what the auction might bring, but man, if I was going to pay 4k for an alto (which I would never do in the first place), the last thing I'd do is go looking on ebay.

Hey, someone go ahead and act on this and report back to us!! On second thought, don't do it.

·
14,446 Posts
I agree with JL; but no one mentioned the poor grammar in the text of the auction. Oh yes, we all want to cut slack for someone with a second-language issue, but with a questionable goal of something in Africa coupled with a poorly written auction, I'll just take a pass on it regardless of the sympathy for political correctness that may be present in some posters' minds. Reads like one of those e-mail scams - just send money to Africa for a fantastic deal. Feel free to pay the money - just don't ask ME to do it. DAVE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.