Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello thrill seeking reed mavens of all ages. I recently got my hands on a very nice playing 120/0 ss Berg. Plasticover 2.5 and 3's seem to work well on it. I read somewhere Pete Christlieb plays plasticovers on his Berg so I figgerd I'd try em.
Would those in the know please chime in with some of their favorite reed choices for Bergs? Many thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have been using for several years Vandoren Javas (the red box since they came out) and recently have tried ZZ's on my metal Berg. Not sure which I like better. Prior to the Vandorens I used LaVoz.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. Pete I understand what you are saying however, I am trying to save a little time and $. I had Short shank soloist It'd only play worth a d#@n on LaVoz. I had a Florida Link It only responded to a Java green box. I've played mostly Barone mpcs for the past 16 yrs. and have used RJS since they've come out and they seem to work best on Phil's mmpcs. I think there tendencies for reed/mpc matchups. I am not crazY!!! Well a little maybe.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,766 Posts
I've been using Legere Studio Cut 3's for quite a while; Legere Signature 2¾ works pretty well for me, too.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think there tendencies for reed/mpc matchups. I am not crazY!!! Well a little maybe.....
I think there are tendencies too, but the player is such an important variable there too that our advice is only going to be so helpful....

When I played a metal Berg I only liked Rico reeds: RSJ, LaVoz and Rico Royal. Since those appear to have worked for you in the past give them a try.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just dug out some #3 Javas that have been "marinating" in a shoebox in my practice room next to my Spike Jones records and I found a couple that are very responsive. Very excite!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I used to use Plasticovers, bet they seemed to die prematurely and not with a lot of warning. They were also a little wide at the tip. I switched to Fibracells, and have been very happy, and they fit very well. FYI- my experience is on bari, not tenor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts