Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such as tenor as a cheaper version of a reference 36?

I would love to get this tone but I can't afford more than $2K:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Don't get models stuck in your head. Go forth with your budget and play as many used tenors as you can find. Lots of good horns can be had for 2k or less, and used means they won't have the "new car depreciation" to deal with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I could try even one vintage sax. Unfortunately there are no vintage sax shops within 400 miles from me. So I have to rely on the experts here to narrow down the field.

I know that part of the tone is skill, mouthpiece, etc. But I'd like some advice on which model gets in the ballpark.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Blue's right on the money. I'd go used. For tenors, a used yamaha, or a good old Aristocrat would be a great horn to work on tone with. I get a tone not unlike the one in the video with a Selmer S80 C* mouthpiece, and A YTS 23 Tenor. Really, it's all about practice...

·
13,544 Posts
I personally think there are a lot of horn with more interesting characteristics than the Reference series. I had a 54 and sold it. I wanted a 36 really bad until I compared to different horns. Some guys love them. I found them a bit uninteresting. Of course in the end its all what you put through it.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,204 Posts
Is there such as tenor as a cheaper version of a reference 36?

I would love to get this tone but I can't afford more than $2K:

Daisydoo is an awesome player who has his own beautiful sound. Find the horn that will allow you to find your own personal sound. Don't get stuck on brands or models. Maybe a Selmer Series II with a III neck will work for you. B

·
2,388 Posts
For what it's worth, that tone ain't got nothin' to do with the 36. Just get a tenor and get to work, dagnabbit!

·
Registered
562 Posts
yup! What they said. Mayho

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
The main part of your tone has nothing to do with your equipment BUT Selmer horns all have this extra rich midrange ring to them that set them apart from the competition.

For 3k, you can get a second hand MKVII or Series II.

If you can't afford a Selmer though, you can still kick some serious ***, proof being in the numerous videos of monster players not playing Selmers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback but if it doesn't matter what sax I get, then why would people ever pay any more than a few hundred dollars for a tenor?

·
2,640 Posts
Thanks for the feedback but if it doesn't matter what sax I get, then why would people ever pay any more than a few hundred dollars for a tenor?
The better your ear gets and the better you get the horn will start to make a bigger difference in terms of sound. I have gotten to the point in my playing were I notice the subtle differences from horn to horn much more. The differences in sound start to become glaringly obvious.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
then why would people ever pay any more than a few hundred dollars for a tenor?
Very often they don't. Some people think the more you pay the better the horn will be, that isn't necessarily true, especially these days.

Some horns with a long established or impressive brand name can be overpriced.

I keep test playing Selmers but so far have found them not be very good for me.

·
1,487 Posts
I think you'll waste a lot of money trying to buy your way into sounding like someone else.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I completely understand what you guys are saying. However, years ago I was able to try a few different ones side by side. Even with my lack of skill, a P Mauriat tenor did not sound anything like the Yamaha.

I know I would need to really practice hard to get a certain tone I want. I'm just trying to get advice on which saxes will eventually get me there. I know I won't be able to bring a sax home and get that tone immediately.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I know I would need to really practice hard to get a certain tone I want. I'm just trying to get advice on which saxes will eventually get me there.
That's very hard to say, it's so personal. The horn that gets one person there won't necessarily be the same one horn that gets another person to the same place.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. My problem is that I have no place locally to go and try out some. So I either buy off EBay or order new on line. Given the high price of new, EBay is my only choice. So, I'm trying to figure a way to narrow down the 90+ auctions I'm following.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts