Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That Dynaction gets even sadder :-(

I'm guessing the octave key is missing, the electrical tape is the "new" octave key, and it was played this way with the pull down...

I offered the seller $35, so I could turn it into a lamp, or wall hanger, my offer was declined.

The seller has the opening bid set at $100, and there is a reserve higher than that; the seller must think he has the holy grail of Buffets LOL

If it was in unwater-damaged, fully functional condition, with original lacquer, it would be worth about $1200 tops, but, this one would need more than that to get it working.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,996 Posts
Despite scary appearances...it's the frozen keys which kills it, quite honestly. The red rot and verdgris....this is actually no big deal.

But for sure the pivot rods are rusted fused to the key barrels....and I'm not going out on much of a limb assuming that some WD40 or Liquid Wrench squirted at the joints, plus torch heat.... :| AIN'T exactly gonna do the job on this one.

The rods will very likely NOT work free while posts remain mounted on the horn.
My guess is she'd require many posts to be unsoldered from body and then, if one is uber-patient...they can perhaps work off the posts and keys one at a time by complete and repeated submersion in penetrating oil, alternated with torch heating then quick-quenching....repeatedly.

An alternative would be to cut the keys off the rod using a jewelers saw...but no guarantee that one would then be able to dislodge the rod from the individual keys after cutting....

.....although just as likely the only way the rods are ever gonna come out would be by submerging the whole key assemblies in Alum...which will dissolve the ferrous metals but leave the brass unscathed.

Almost the kinda job where the real question becomes....is the fixer gonna be able to maintain patience through the process before snapping and literally taking a sledgehammer to the keywork....?

Yeah, I love "reserve not met".

Wonder what the heck this guy is thinkin'.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost the kinda job where the real question becomes....is the fixer gonna be able to maintain patience through the process before snapping and literally taking a sledgehammer to the keywork....?
Kinda why I felt this would make a great Lamp project... Might also make an enemy of one's repair tech if you take this to them, and they actually agree to take on the repair. However, there's always a masochist that would take on a repair like this because they like a good challenge and all the pain that comes with it.

The only tricky part of turning it into a lamp would be removing the pads if it has the screw in resonators, which would mechanically attach the pads to the key cups. Fortunately, on the Dynactions, the resonator screw posts are soft-soldered into the key cups and just need to take a torch to the back of the key.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone has bid on it! I recognize the "disguised" bidder ID/Ranking number from the last couple of Buffet auctions that I was bidding on, must be a TRUE Buffet collector to actually start a bid of $100 towards it...

I'm guessing they don't realize the amount of work needed to get it functional again, or, it is a repair tech that is up for the challenge or thinking they can somehow use it for parts.

Looking forward to seeing how high the bids go on this one!

·
Registered
697 Posts
seller said horn had been sitting for 30yrs. i thought it could be fun to try and revive this horn, but not enough to pay 100 for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seller said horn had been sitting for 30yrs. i thought it could be fun to try and revive this horn, but not enough to pay 100 for it.
Agreed, $100 or more is too much given its current state... Like I said, the bidder must be a TRUE collector.

·
17,996 Posts
I suppose one can argue that the neck tube with attached tenon and hardware, which is repairable...could be worth $100 in and of itself. I'd be shocked if it went beyond one more bidder...maybe $125 (?)

Whatever, the first bidder obviously didn't hit the mysterious "reserve", so....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suppose one can argue that the neck tube with attached tenon and hardware, which is repairable...could be worth $100 in and of itself.
I don't know if this is unique to my 2 - 1956 Dynaction Altos, but my necks are not interchangeable, they have different tenon sizes. The difference is enough so that my 46xx neck will not go into my 44xx body at all, and the 44xx neck is incredibly loose in the 46xx body, no mater how tight the neck screw is. I have speculated that since the 46xx is very close to the start of the SDA run that it could have an SDA body with Dynaction keywork and bell-to-body brace. Yes, the 46xx is one heck of a player.

I don't know how many tenon changes happened during the Dynaction run, but it can be very possible that it may not fit on another Dynaction.

We can only speculate, however, the intentions of the bidder.

·
Registered
697 Posts
fwiw, i told him where serial number should be and he said he only found what looked like a hand scratched number, so no telling where this horn falls in the production cycle. also, he never replied as to whether he had the octave key. i wouldn't think it's worth much without it. seems like you'd have to be pretty po'd to tweak a neck like that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fwiw, i told him where serial number should be and he said he only found what looked like a hand scratched number, so no telling where this horn falls in the production cycle.
At the newest it is a 1955, 1956 Dynactions went to a simpler name engraving on the front only saying Buffet Crampon Paris France, earlier ones, like this one, had the full SA 18-20 Address. The neck tenon is the newer fancier design (2 bevels instead of a sraight collar), on the Tenors, this appeared in the later 1952 horns, not sure if altos were the same or earlier. So, we are potentially looking at a 1952-55 sax

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
up to 125 - reserve is off. bidder has only 1 feedback - here fishy, fishy....
Seller has 0 Feedback... I am looking forward to the "bid war" as it gets closer to auction end just to see how high this will actually go...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never went above the 2 bid / $125 price point... I was hoping for a little bidding drama on it LOL! Would be interesting to see if the winner shows up on this site asking about their "score".

·
17,996 Posts
Never went above the 2 bid / $125 price point... I was hoping for a little bidding drama on it LOL! Would be interesting to see if the winner shows up on this site asking about their "score".
OK, well...not the stupidest final price. I have no doubt the horn is real and the seller will ship it and that's what the buyer will get.

A lotta folks think (as I once did) that a horn in ANY condition is actually salvageable. After getting a few with severely frozen rods - some clearly used as garden ornaments previously - I had to revise that modus operandi. This one seems as bad as any garden ornament one I have seen...

So, again, either the buyer can perhaps salvage some parts, or at least get the neck tube repaired to re-sell it for something...or if he/she is super-patient, and a DIY'er, eventually get the keys off. But if he/she thinks they are gonna have a tech resuscitate this one for $800...it'll be a hard lesson learned.

(interesting comment, tho, that they changed the tenon diameters during the model's run).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts