Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peter is selling his Yani on ebay. This quote is from his ad.

I only have experience with fixed neck instruments short of a quick try on a cheap chinese horn and a great playing Keilwerth. I think his comment is worthy of some discussion.

"As a well known saxophone designer I can tell you that the worst thing that ever happened to straight soprano saxophones was the detachable neck idea. The point where the neck detaches is too close to the octave pips and totally interferes with the octave response and air column. A one piece soprano will always play much better than one with a detachable neck."

·
Registered
332 Posts
Interesting that none of the pros who play them are not making similar comments about their airstream being interfered with. I also have never had a problem with the octave mechanisms on my sop failing or even leaking.

·
Registered
735 Posts
In my experience, all the VINTAGE one-piece Curved Sopranos have unergonomic Neck alignment; the makers seem to have all insisted on lining the Neck up with the BELL rather than to the more comfortable thumb-rest/octave-key alignment. Grrrr... Anyway, there's plenty of choices out there for all !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
the worst thing that ever happened to straight soprano saxophones was the detachable neck idea. A one piece soprano will always play much better than one with a detachable neck."
Always...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
'"As a well known saxophone designer I can tell you that the worst thing that ever happened to straight soprano saxophones was the detachable neck idea. The point where the neck detaches is too close to the octave pips and totally interferes with the octave response and air column. A one piece soprano will always play much better than one with a detachable neck."

From beginning to end, the entire statement is BS. Very few have 'designed' a saxophone. A. Sax and H. Selmer among them. He may have suggested some changes to an existing model that the real designers then had to analyze to see if it could be done without ruining the sax, but that's not 'designing'. You know, like the 'Guardala' Model B&S tenor for example.
I think the detachable-neck soprano is a great idea because the curved neck definitely mellows the sound while it makes using a strap practical and gives you the option of using the straight neck when you want to add some sizzle. BUT, if I were a soprano player as my principle instrument, I most likely would use a one-piece. I guess Mr. Ponzol might like the one-piece 'semi-curvo' (tipped-bell) Rampone & Cazzani soprano. I had one, played great, sold it because it did not equal the tone of my Taiwan 'saxello', believe it or not - too pure, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well I'm not a professional player, so take it with a grain of salt - but years ago I play tested a number of Keilwerth SX90 straight sopranos with and without the detachable necks and in every case the detachable neck played better - especially in the palm key area. At the time as I recall other people on SOTW agreed. I'm very happy playing my JK SX90II and I play with the straight neck.
Lenny

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I found this thread rather amusing. I seriously doubt that the removable neck has an adverse or even noticeable effect. If it did, it would be possible to order a high-end one-piece alto or tenor. I don't think I've ever seen one of those, and I have seen some scary looking saxophones.

In any case, I think this is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy than anything else - if you truly believe one is better than the other, it will be.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maybe there's a reason why so many (including myself) love YSS-62, and why they fetch such high prices. I regret the day I sold mine every time I play my current sop (which is a great playing horn, just not the same).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
I agree, detachable necks are a real tone killer. That's why I will only play one-piece alto and tenor saxes.
Guess I need to get one of those really old fixed-neck baritones...:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,887 Posts
I have had fixed neck curved sopranos and I wouldn’t want to own one.

The removable neck of my curved soprano is an essential because makes it possible to dry and clean the horn, without it is impossible.

Besides I have yet to find two saxophone players who necessarily agree with a fixed playing position, adjusting the neck left to right is essential on a curved neck which is essential ( for most) on a curved saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,333 Posts
I agree, detachable necks are a real tone killer. That's why I will only play one-piece alto and tenor saxes.
I don't really buy into the whole tone issue, but if it were somehow convenient to use a one piece alto or tenor, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I've had several old horns with neck connection issues. Simple repair sufficed for some, but I had to have a new neck receiver fabricated for my 10M to make it sing. It truly is a very common place for a leak and the probability for it increases with age. The two neck sopranos I've tried from even the major brands seemed flimsy to me. Now I may try to be as careful as Dave, but I do have rather big mitts. I don't even like testing out such horns these days for fear that I'll mangle them trying to get the neck on and off. When these two piece sopranos have been around for a while, neck leak issues are bound to become much more commonplace with them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,580 Posts
I have been playing a Yani 901 for the last three months. Recently, I played several Yani 992s with the curved detachable neck. Based on the quality and quantity of sound it puts out relative to the 901, the 992 wins. Now, I haven't tried a Yamaha 62R, but my philosophy is: Whatever sounds the best, sounds the best, and to heck with theories and speculation. The proof is in the playing and so far the Yani 992 is the best sop that's come through my shop. And this is after six months of playing soprano exclusively. I've play tested every sop that has come through and the 992 wins easily.
But I have yet to try the 62R...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts