Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone had the good fortune to try these mouthpieces? If so could you comment on them, put them in some sort of comparative context?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I didn't care for the Runyon on my YBS 62. I play an RPC high baffle that Ron made for me. It's the best bari mouthpiece I've ever played, and that includes Runyon, selmer, strathon, slant link, and Bergs. The only one that came close was a SS berg that John Reilly worked on that a friend of mine plays, but he won't give that one up...:)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I haven't played a Quantum, but I've owned both an RPC high baffle, and the M1, in similar tips (.120). I sold the RPC years ago, so I have to go by memory. The RPC was edgy, bright and loud. It was exactly what I had asked Ron to make for me, and definitely not the right mouthpiece for my horn. It reminded my of some Bergs I've had, in that it gives you something to push against to give it some edge. The M1 is more free blowing. It can get similar volume, but not quite the edge. It's a very versatile mouthpiece, it can be played right down the middle with some care. I'm actually a huge fan of the sound I can get from it. It breaks my heart a little though, that I just cannot get it to work with my horn (Conn stencil). While it doesn't have a tiny chamber, it's small enough that the danger notes on my horn (e.g. a SHARP E) are made worse. I'm holding onto it in the off chance that I might someday own a modern horn, but that's an entirely different discussion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
i have the quantum and its great. great for rock and roll and r&b .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Quantum as well but find that it gets diffused, spread when I play it hard and can sound a little metallic. Easy on air though which is a big plus for me and the baritone.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
These are win-win-win choices IMO. The RPC is probably the most popular. I use a metal Quantum that I reworked.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I own the RPC Blue Dot High Baffle (.110) and the Runyon Delrin Quantum #12,
and though I love the RPC, For my needs (Rock and Roll, R & B) I prefer the Runyon.

Facings on both are incredible, but the Quantum just feels better, and seems to be
a bit easier blowing. That said, you cannot go wrong with either. I have not, however, tried the Ponzol M1 for anything but a couple of minutes. It too, was impressive, but I found both the RPC and The Quantum better. Just me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
[...] I'm actually a huge fan of the sound I can get from it. It breaks my heart a little though, that I just cannot get it to work with my horn (Conn stencil). While it doesn't have a tiny chamber, it's small enough that the danger notes on my horn (e.g. a SHARP E) are made worse. I'm holding onto it in the off chance that I might someday own a modern horn, but that's an entirely different discussion.
So is the shank of your RPC not long enough to use on your Conn stencil effectively? If that's all it is, have an extension made like I did.
View attachment 31579 View attachment 31580

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was talking about the Ponzol I own. I used to own an RPC, which I sold a few years ago. The problem with the RPC definitely wasn't it's length, I had Ron leave the shank long. The intonation was not sharp overall, it just never locked in, too flexible. Great sound, but I could not ever use it for a gig. I'm of the opinion (now) that older horns require less open tips and lower baffles than do modern horns, whose intonation generally feel more "locked in" to begin with. The Ponzol has a similar issue, to a lesser degree. I've actually settled on an M1 .110, which strikes a good balance between volume and projection, and how hard I have to work to play in tune.

Grumps, "garbage?" I only have experience with a Runyon Custom, which is a good, solid mouthpiece, especially for its price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
Grumps, "garbage?" I only have experience with a Runyon Custom, which is a good, solid mouthpiece, especially for its price.
Back when I was in the chase, I fell into the Runyon craze and bought and/or traded for several of them for my various horns (including a bari Quantum). Though their price and free-blowing nature is seductive, ultimately they quack. My advice to Runyon players is to record themselves on the mouthpieces, and then try something else.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Define "quack". I have heard ducky sounding high baffle sop MPs (various brands) but I dont hear it on bigger horns. Have a recorded example?

Delrin Quantums can sound bratty and somewhat basoon-like. The metal ones are warmer. I do not think is is due to material per se. I do think the thin beak design of the Quantum vibrates some when made of Delrin as opposed to metal.

·
26,005 Posts
Define "quack". I have heard ducky sounding high baffle sop MPs (various brands) but I dont hear it on bigger horns. Have a recorded example?
The first time I noticed it was when I moved from room to room while practicing with a metal Quantum for tenor some years ago. I didn't record it however. The delrin Quantum for bari I sampled some years ago as well could have doubled for a duck call.

It would be interesting though to hear recordings of folks playing Runyons. I do recall one posted not long ago, but I forget which mouthpiece the OP was comparing his Runyon to. What I do recall though is how terrible... and duck-like... the Runyon (for tenor, I believe) sounded in comparison to his other mouthpiece.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I have a bunch of bari sax sound clips on my web site that I made a few years ago. Not my best playing (control) on some of these cuts but the sounds can be compared. The Delrin vs Metal Quantum 11 is a good one to compare. Then something dark like the Link STM 7* clip.

But how they work in a gig situation is usually quite different than what is heard on a sound clip. The Link sounds warm and cozy but I would never use it in a bar band or even a big band. Not enough cut to balance.

I do not have a recording of a RPC or Ponzol. But they would lie somewhere in between the Link and Quantums I would suppose, but closer to the metal Quantum.

Here are some duck calls for reference:
http://www.echocalls.com/soundfiles.html

·
26,005 Posts
I have a bunch of bari sax sound clips on my web site that I made a few years ago. Not my best playing (control) on some of these cuts but the sounds can be compared. The Delrin vs Metal Quantum 11 is a good one to compare. Then something dark like the Link STM 7* clip.
I think you sound worlds better on the Link, the Lamberson, and even the Berg, than any of the Runyons. A fuller sound by far.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,818 Posts
I play a Ponzol M1, but it is an older brass model. The baffle is a little lower than the baffle in the current model. I've never met a Runyon that I liked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts