Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Well just before the modern SX 90 series Peter Ponzol was hired by Keilwerth to consult for a line of saxophones (Ponzol has has similar deals with many brands) .

These are the somewhat rare Peter Ponzol range. They are probably are more expensive than a Keilwerth soprano .

http://www.saxpics.com/Keilwerth-old/Old/pponzol.htm

“.......I began making mouthpieces in 1985 and we tied both products into our workshops. My model came with a Ponzol mouthpiece, a different neck which was personally chosen by me for each instrument and I did all the final testing on all Ponzol saxophones and the guarantee card bore my signature. As I mentioned, the G# mechanism, adjustable palm keys and F arm with adjusting screw were all developed on my model.

Being a jazz player, of course my goal was to make first a good saxophone and second [to make] one that was aimed at the largest market. During marketing studies we found that classical saxophone represented 3% of the world market in 1985. I was never able to get Keilwerth to change the size of the bow which I feel causes the sound to spread too much. We made a prototype with a smaller bow that I thought was fantastic, but it was never put into production.

B&H did not like using my name on the saxophone and had no desire to make further major changes to the saxophones, so I became too expensive and my involvement with the company ended in March, 1993. I then returned to the US after a wonderful 12 years in Europe. The Modell Ponzol became the SX90, but without real rolled tone holes [the SX90R “uses tonehole rings which are soldered on to the standard drawn toneholes”] and with a different neck [,however] I would not like to make a comparison between my model and the new Keilwerth saxophones.

==========....."

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ever play one? Do you have any opinions? I know of one with fresh overhaul 2200 CHF..I haven't played it yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
I played The SX 90 and the previous Toneking, not the Ponzol version but I understand that a lot of his model was integrated into the SX 90

1 - 4 of 4 Posts