Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got a super deal and bought 2 tenor metal mouthpieces for a ridiculous price. The one that mostly interested me is an Otto Link Super Tone Master 7. The other is A vintage gold plated Ponzol 110 M2.

While the Link disapointed me a bit ( I was expecting a brighter sound with more power and projection ), after playing a few notes with the Ponzol, I thought: WOW! that's THE SOUND I'm looking for! super edgy, powerful bright sound with a great projection. I'm sure I can make the horn sound dark with work and time. In a few words, this mouthpiece is perfect....well, almost.

I'm a come back player and I play again for only 2 months. This piece is open a lot and it demands a lot of air. OK I'm not used to it but it's not easy to control Would you recommend me to continue to play it or take it away and use an easier mouthpiece to avoid bad habits?

Or is there anyone interested to trade my Ponzol for a similar model but less open? I'm not familiar with Ponzol models so I can't tell you which model would be fine for me. No matter if it's not gold plated.

Thanks a lot for your advices! JO

·
Registered
841 Posts
What I would suggest is if you like the sound of the Ponzol, work with it for a bit. Maybe try going down slightly in reed strength and don't practice for long periods of time until you try to get acclimated to the Ponzol piece and build up to playing it, unless of course it is radically open and you know you may never get used to the tip opening if it is a drastic change from what you are normally used to playing on.

Play on it maybe 15-30 minutes a day and see if there are any changes in the amount of air required to make the piece respond in the way that you want it to respond. It could be that you are also used to more Link type pieces that don't have a baffle in them and are easier to blow. Sometimes making a switch like that, especially if you have been away from the horn for awhile plus the fact that the ponzol has a baffle can take a bit of time until you become comfortable with it once again

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I would suggest is if you like the sound of the Ponzol, work with it for a bit. Maybe try going down slightly in reed strength and don't practice for long periods of time until you try to get acclimated to the Ponzol piece and build up to playing it, unless of course it is radically open and you know you may never get used to the tip opening if it is a drastic change from what you are normally used to playing on.

Play on it maybe 15-30 minutes a day and see if there are any changes in the amount of air required to make the piece respond in the way that you want it to respond. It could be that you are also used to more Link type pieces that don't have a baffle in them and are easier to blow. Sometimes making a switch like that, especially if you have been away from the horn for awhile plus the fact that the ponzol has a baffle can take a bit of time until you become comfortable with it once again
Thanks for your precious advice. Actually I have the feeling that I WILL get used to it. Sure it needs more air than the Link. I will follow your advices cause sound is dead on. Merry Xmas and peace!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm an old guy with less air than I used to have...but I don't find a .110 to be out of the question for me.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,644 Posts
Hi,

I got a super deal and bought 2 tenor metal mouthpieces for a ridiculous price. The one that mostly interested me is an Otto Link Super Tone Master 7. The other is A vintage gold plated Ponzol 110 M2.

While the Link disapointed me a bit ( I was expecting a brighter sound with more power and projection ), after playing a few notes with the Ponzol, I thought: WOW! that's THE SOUND I'm looking for! super edgy, powerful bright sound with a great projection. I'm sure I can make the horn sound dark with work and time. In a few words, this mouthpiece is perfect....well, almost.

I'm a come back player and I play again for only 2 months. This piece is open a lot and it demands a lot of air.
A couple of thoughts... First of all, you are dealing with two very different designs. The Link has a low rollover baffle and the Ponzol has a high step baffle. So it's no wonder you find the Ponzol to have a powerful bright sound in comparison to the Link. Also, a 110 (equivalent to an '8') is not that much more open than a 7 Link. It shouldn't make that much difference and you definitely don't want to go to a smaller tip on that high baffle mpc anyway! In my experience, and I've played both, a Ponzol M2 doesn't 'take more air' than a Link. More likely it would be the other way around. In any case, if you've only been playing for 2 months after a long lay off (years?), it will take some time to adjust to any mpc. The Ponzol is a fairly easy-playing piece, and a good one if you are looking for a relatively bright sound, but still with some body to the tone. So, assuming you prefer it to the Link, give it some time and keep playing it.

What reed are you using? That can be a huge factor. Hopefully you aren't playing a reed that is too hard. You almost certainly will have to experiment a bit with reeds.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JL, I stopped playing for years unfortunately.

I'm amazed you say the Ponzol isn't harder to blow than the Link. For me this is obvious.

I mainly played the M2 with Rico Jazz select 3M, but today I bought a box of Vandoren ZZ 3. Didn't have time to make some test.

·
23,644 Posts
JL, I stopped playing for years unfortunately.

I'm amazed you say the Ponzol isn't harder to blow than the Link. For me this is obvious.

I mainly played the M2 with Rico Jazz select 3M, but today I bought a box of Vandoren ZZ 3. Didn't have time to make some test.
I'm not sure 'harder' is the word, but every Link I've ever played had more resistance than a Ponzol M2. With that baffle, the Ponzol is relatively 'free-blowing.'

I suspect your issue is playing reeds that are too hard. Try those reeds in a 2 1/2 size.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure 'harder' is the word, but every Link I've ever played had more resistance than a Ponzol M2. With that baffle, the Ponzol is relatively 'free-blowing.'

I suspect your issue is playing reeds that are too hard. Try those reeds in a 2 1/2 size.
Chops too are an issue....I come from so far! But I won't give up, at least playing; I don't know if I will keep the 2 metal pieces or let them go.

·
23,644 Posts
Did you take notice of the fact you are playing relatively hard reeds? Try some medium strength (2 1/2) reeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts