Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot about crystal mouthpieces and I wanted to squash any misconceptions by coming to you guys. I know nearly nothing about these and only know that Pete Fountain played a crystal. My dad wants to buy me a Pomarico Black Crystal Sun.

Any Thoughts comments or even Reviews you'd like to share?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,922 Posts
I play a clear crystal Pomarico and I love it. It's well made, plays easily with just the right amount of resistance. I play Légère reeds on it, but most other reeds work fine too. It's an excellent piece.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I played one for a while and found it problematic for doubling. It took the piece longer to warm up in my opinion. It played really well if I was just playing clarinet - but it was a bit impractical for my needs.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I played one for a while and found it problematic for doubling. It took the piece longer to warm up in my opinion. It played really well if I was just playing clarinet - but it was a bit impractical for my needs.
I had similar experience with it, it would tend to get almost freezing on a cold stage. Had a great sound though, I used it with both Zondas and Legeres. It's def got a unique sound, great for solo work.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,597 Posts
I have a few O'Brian crystal pieces. They play well enough, but feel bad on the teeth.
If you get a crystal piece you may want to put a thin clear patch on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
I have a Pomarico jazz piece. Pretty nice pice. I played it for a while but ended up back on my Ralph Morgan. I guess I prefer the feel of hard rubber. I like the looks of crystal though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use a Pomarico black crystal Star with a BG revelation silver Lig and a Hahn reed. I put a thick black tooth guard on it to help with the teeth. It is an excellant playing mouthpiece. The only negative comment I could make, is that it is heavier than any other mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have a few O'Brian crystal pieces. They play well enough, but feel bad on the teeth.
If you get a crystal piece you may want to put a thin clear patch on it.
I think that this is really a MUST, especially for crystal mpcs
I highly recommend BG patches 0,4 mm clear A11S

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, So i'm getting the Sun, Which instances would you say that the MPC would suit. Jazz? Concert? Chamber?

Ill be sure to order a Tooth Guard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.