Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi

I briefly played a wooden tenor Pomarico 7* yesterday. It belongs to a professional player. The piece had a great huge dark sound. Almost as much volume as the Vandoren HR V16, but much darker.

The ligature was a standard Selmer. I noticed no squeaking problems. At least two of the really good jazz saxophonist here in Copenhagen uses these mouthpieces. And now I know why... :twisted:

·
Registered
445 Posts
CONN-Hunter, I just tried 4 pieces in a local shop. I believe they were some older models. They had a metal ring on the shank(?, don't know if this is the correct word)

The chamber looked large, maybe medium-large. No baffle and I believe the side walls were a bit rounded. So in all a dark piece.

But.... none of them played well. One sounded like a duck, another like I forgot to take my little extra bag out of the bell. And the two others were just not me and very reed picky. They were very inconsistent. I guess that is the "charm" with wooden pieces. :)

I tried another a while ago. This was a great piece and the guy who owns it has played it for 5 years without problems. He has a dark warm sound. So you really have to try them before buying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.