Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Pomarico Ebony Wood MP and like the sound its giving me, but seems to squeek a bit much. I wondering if there are any players out there who may know of an ideal lig/reed set up for a #5 Pomarico Ebony wood MPC
-All Comments/Suggestions Welcome :cool:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi

I briefly played a wooden tenor Pomarico 7* yesterday. It belongs to a professional player. The piece had a great huge dark sound. Almost as much volume as the Vandoren HR V16, but much darker.

The ligature was a standard Selmer. I noticed no squeaking problems. At least two of the really good jazz saxophonist here in Copenhagen uses these mouthpieces. And now I know why... :twisted:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pomarico

I had one for a good amount of time, but I thought it was changing on me. I had my guy check it out and he said the rails were uneven. Now I know it didn't come out that way from Pomarico, who is obviously a master technician. My speculation is that these wood mpcs. start to lose their facing pretty fast.
The Pomarico ebony jazz was probably the most expressive mpc I've ever played. The possibilities seemed almost overwhelming to me; it's that good. But I think that to play one you are looking at periodic refacings! But, once again, this was just my impression of them. And my own speculation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
CONN-Hunter, I just tried 4 pieces in a local shop. I believe they were some older models. They had a metal ring on the shank(?, don't know if this is the correct word)

The chamber looked large, maybe medium-large. No baffle and I believe the side walls were a bit rounded. So in all a dark piece.

But.... none of them played well. One sounded like a duck, another like I forgot to take my little extra bag out of the bell. And the two others were just not me and very reed picky. They were very inconsistent. I guess that is the "charm" with wooden pieces. :)

I tried another a while ago. This was a great piece and the guy who owns it has played it for 5 years without problems. He has a dark warm sound. So you really have to try them before buying.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've owned a Pomarico 7* for tenor for a long time, but have only recently started using it regularly (too much in love with my baritone, I guess … ;) ). It sounds awesome, great big tone, ease of expression second to none, even if the tip looked uneven. I never thought much of what I imagined was a cosmetic flaw, I just played it and enjoyed it.

This monday, however, I managed to smash the mouthpiece into my sax case and chipped the tip just a tiny bit. What was already a kind of a resistant mouthpiece instantly became a downright difficult mouthpiece.

Today I spent a couple of hours at the nearby woodwind store, trying new pieces. After a while of playing, trying, comparing and contemplating, the salesman offered to try to even out the Pomarico so that I would have something to play on until I had figured out which piece to buy. He managed to fix the Pomarico completely and make the piece what it's supposed to be (yet has never been) — easy blowing, expressive, centered, whatever. The 249 € I probably would have spent on a Lebayle Jazz metal is still in my bank account, and myself — I'm back in love with my Pomarico.

It is a warm/dark piece, physically round and big, but I find it's relatively easy to project and cut through soloing. (But I have to admit that I miss a bit of the Lebayle Jazz' power.)

Oh, and I use a Francois Louis brass ligature and Marca Jazz reeds. :cool:

Edit: Linguistic cleanup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts