Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Brass

Votes: 15 60.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ponzol tenor sax mouthpiece lovers: Why do I see so many used stainless steel tenor mouthpieces for sale? Lets just say that I bought two used stainless pieces, an M2 110 and an M2+ 110 and got rid of them both for what I paid for them. I'm keeping my brass ones.

·
2,319 Posts
I had an M2 105 brass for a short while and returned it. I now own a 110 M2 Stainless and prefer it over the brass model. More of everything I liked about the brass model. Different strokes... I paid more for mine used than they are going for nowadays, however.:( I'd buy another if I lost this one.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The brass seems more popular because they were offered in .115 & .120 tips. I can't believe Peter hasn't offered a .115 M2, or .110 M1.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a M2 120 and a SS 110. The M2 is an early one and I can see why some prefer them. The M2 is louder and can really scream particulary in the palm notes but I do prefer the SS as it has more tonal pallete for me ,handles the low notes better and the screaming is a work in progress. The SS is a more versatile piece, for me, taking into account I am basing this on one example of each.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,826 Posts
I have a Ponzol M1 tenor and a M2 for alto, like them both but the finish gone bad in both cases so, I guess, the SS would be better,at least in that respect. I never see any second hand SS mouthpieces and they are serious money if new..........

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Why is the SS Ponzol pieces only offered up to a 110 size tip on tenor.I like at least a 115 tip.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
I have a M1/.110 and a M6/.090 and both are suberb pieces. I think if I were to try the SS pieces they would be very good as well but I think I need the .090 opened to at least .110 for it to be more colorful.

B

·
2,309 Posts
I love Peter to death, but back when he was going to change to SS I told him it was a mistake. For the economics SS and CNC cutting is fine but I prefer a mouthpiece that's hand done hand finished, unique, that's what made the old Links and Bergs and others so good, you found one that you liked, that fit the sound you were striving for, tweaked it some maybe and you were set.

JR

·
Registered
260 Posts
I played an M1 .110 and really liked it. I now have a M2 SS .110 and I really really like it. I find it a touch brighter than the M1 that I played. To each his own, I guess.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
I love Peter to death, but back when he was going to change to SS I told him it was a mistake. For the economics SS and CNC cutting is fine but I prefer a mouthpiece that's hand done hand finished, unique, that's what made the old Links and Bergs and others so good, you found one that you liked, that fit the sound you were striving for, tweaked it some maybe and you were set.
Yes, and I suspect any difference between the SS & brass pieces is down to some difference in how they are made and finished off, rather than the material.

I have a brass M2 and it was at the top of my list until I discovered the RPCs. I still can't bring myself to sell the Ponzol. I do wonder if I wouldn't like it better with a more open tip (as mauriatboy mentioned above), given the high baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,118 Posts
The best Ponzol I ever tried was a piece with RIA looks on the exterior. Circular bite plate, etc. Apparently his first series. Simply stamped PONZOL on top and I stupidly sold it because I preferred the feeling of hard rubber pieces at that time. Absolutely great piece. The ML and II-V-I were darn good too with slight preference to the former, both in .110 opening. The M2 SS is but the vintage in SS did not appeal to me. Both are heavy and clunky, which may seem like petty criticism but I do think it affects how the piece works for me. I have the M2 in aluminum and really like it. Ponzol is a great craftsman of mouthpieces, by hand or by CNC.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I really can't honestly vote on this poll because I never played the brass ones. I can say this; I still feel the stainless m2 is one of the best pieces I have ever played on tenor. It is a very versatile piece, can be pushed to be brighter etc. For me , it has a lot of tonal pallette. I prefer it over the m2plus that I also have. If the brass ones were brighter than these, I would definitely prefer the stainless. I tend to play on the bright side and the stainless m2 works great for me.As was said, different strokes for different folks.The fact that it is stainless means it will last longer than me also. I will never get rid of this mpc.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have 3 Ponzol tenor mouthpieces, a M2 120, M2plus 110 in brass and a year ago I got a used stainless steel M2plus 110. I haven't touched the brass pieces since I bought the ss M2 plus. I'll never get rid of the brass models but the ss for me is the best and most versatile. It's the best mpc ever for playing blues and soul music!

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Peter Ponzol should see the results of this. The brass beats the Stainless Steels for popularity by a wide margin! Hey Peter, why not make BOTH???

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
On tenor, I play a brass M1. I have a SS M2. Both are great mpcs. The M1 is the one I've played the longest and see no reason to switch horses. The M2 I keep handy if i need one that has more power and is a bit brighter. Between these two, I've got all my bases covered. (I have a Link HR Tone Edge for wind ensemble.) In my case, I don't know that the material makes the difference as much as the design.

·
Registered
670 Posts
On tenor, I play a brass M1. I have a SS M2. Both are great mpcs. The M1 is the one I've played the longest and see no reason to switch horses. The M2 I keep handy if i need one that has more power and is a bit brighter. Between these two, I've got all my bases covered. (I have a Link HR Tone Edge for wind ensemble.) In my case, I don't know that the material makes the difference as much as the design.
I'm still playing my ssm2, one of the best (for me) pieces I ever played . What would you say is the design difference of the brass m1 vs ss m2? I'm guessing that its a lower baffle , larger chamber .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts