Sax on the Web Forum banner

BA or SBA?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as a matter of personal preference:
Balanced Action or Super Balanced Action - which do you like better?

·
Registered
406 Posts
SBA all the waaayyyyy

- J

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
In any case I still prefer SBA's over any other posterior horn by Selmer. My personal favorite among selmers are the radio improved, but that's because they are LH bell keyed Balanced Actions (main bodies are just the same, necks are the same)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I can't really vote because while I have owned a 1940 BA Tenor for 31 years now, I have only played an SBA for a couple of hours one weekend, and the horn was not really in good playing condition...plus...it was a long time ago...at least 10 years.

I 'think' that I would prefer an SBA with the longer bell and relocated bell keys.

I have constantly strugled with the sharpness of the low C, B and Bb notes and I think that it wouldn't be such a struggle with an SBA such as I have described.

Prices have shot through the roof since I bought my horn though...I only paid $ 975 for my BA in 1980 and I just can't justify spending a lot of money to buy an SBA. I am not a pro and for what I do, the horn that I have is certainly good enough.

But I keep hoping for the chance again to try an SBA again just to refresh my memory...it will probably happen some day.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only paid $ 975 for my BA in 1980
I got my SBA in 1977 for $600 from the original owner. I was 17 years old. He came back two weeks later with a late-model Mark VI and said he wanted the SBA back. He claimed he only loaned it to me. I said "what about the money I gave you?" He said that was security and I could have the MK6 or the $600, but not the SBA. I have a pretty big family who barreled into the room... my mother threw him out. I never saw or heard from him again.

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
I have a 50xxx SBA of 1952 with which I'm very happy. Only once played shortly on a BA, which played well too IMO. Have read on more places about sharpness issues with BA's (like also mentioned above), so that makes me to prefer SBA's over BA's, for what it's worth. At the end each instrument is unique, you can have bad SBA's and great BA's and vica versa.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
Man! That guy must have had some brass gnocci to try to pull a stunt like that! I'm glad your family intervened.

Oh, and my BA Alto is a real monster. Never played it side by side with an SBA, but I love it.

I got my SBA in 1977 for $600 from the original owner. I was 17 years old. He came back two weeks later with a late-model Mark VI and said he wanted the SBA back. He claimed he only loaned it to me. I said "what about the money I gave you?" He said that was security and I could have the MK6 or the $600, but not the SBA. I have a pretty big family who barreled into the room... my mother threw him out. I never saw or heard from him again.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man! That guy must have had some brass gnocci to try to pull a stunt like that! I'm glad your family intervened. Oh, and my BA Alto is a real monster. Never played it side by side with an SBA, but I love it.
I still have the horn!

·
1,552 Posts
Never had any issues with intonation on my BA.

·
3,202 Posts
I like my BA Tenor better than the MKVI's I've owned. The intonation is quite good on it, I never had a problem with it playing sharp down low and altissimo plays easy on it. It plays even from top to bottom. Never owned or played an SBA. I hate to say it but the best horn I've owned sound wise is a 10M. I have a feeling if I played it next to an SBA I would still like it best.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Another vote for the BA - I had a 27xxx and should never have sold it. I had it tricked out with just a touch of tone hole covering in the low B and it solved the sharpness issues - what a free blowing beast - I will get one again someday

1 - 20 of 36 Posts