Sax on the Web Forum banner

What to buy with $1500?

• A really nice drum set.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Spend $1500 on a tenor sax.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Spend $1500 on a bari sax.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Spend $1500 on a keyboard and learn how to play piano.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Save it for later.

Votes: 21 39.6%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,948 Posts
"Save it for later" was not an option. The $1500 is a store credit.

I still favor selling the alto and buying a tenor and a keyboard. ;)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr G said:
"Save it for later" was not an option. The $1500 is a store credit.

I still favor selling the alto and buying a tenor and a keyboard. ;)
Well then. Just 1500 in general.

·
Registered
706 Posts
YOu can buy a nice vintage tenor for 750$ and spend 750$ whether on a drum set or a keyboard (you don't need to spend 1500$ on keyboard or a drum set neither of which is your main instrument)..
I bet that if you look enough on adds in your area you can get a vintage tenor for 500$ , used (or new) keyboards for 500$ and a used drum set for 500$...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,033 Posts
bbbouklas said:
YOu can buy a nice vintage tenor for 750$ and spend 750$ whether on a drum set or a keyboard (you don't need to spend 1500$ on keyboard or a drum set neither of which is your main instrument)..
I bet that if you look enough on adds in your area you can get a vintage tenor for 500$ , used (or new) keyboards for 500$ and a used drum set for 500$...
The problem is it is a store credit, and must be spent in that store. Most stores can't order up used saxes, so new is probably his only option, which eliminates a Bari, and might eliminate a good keyboard as well. He could get something to learn on, but not a true pro keyboard.

The stores website is very poor, but it shows a partnership with a store that carries used drum kits. I'd use it up on quality used drums and GOOD used cymbals. Probably the best bang for the buck, and a reasonable resale to get money for a good sax in the future.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
save is for something more worthwhile. Dont just spend it because you have it, that advice could apply to a lot of people here. :cool:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Maybe not a complete drum kit but instead some quality percussion and then what's left over for a decent pair of new shoes, made in the U.S.A. I'd a be doublin' and a dancin'. :D

·
Registered
769 Posts
I agree with Sigmund. Buy something that will hold it's value and then sell it and put it towards a vintage horn. Pick up a piano on Craigslist or something for a couple hundred bucks and just learn on that. Drums-meh. Not my style.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Vacation with your spouse in the Caribbean -- something nobody can ever take away from you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts