Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Holton 241 Tenor; Buescher Art Deco Aristocrat Alto
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forum and love looking back through old threads, especially about Holton 241s.

My poor horn has seen better days and could probably do with an overhaul but it plays. I'm looking for advice on polishing up the engraving because it could be so striking. I don't care about losing remaining lacquer.

Any hints and tips most welcome.
Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,007 Posts
Congrats on the horn....I have rtefurbed around a dozen 241's and they are every bit as good as a 10M, King Zeph, Buescher THC and Martin Comm.

The likely reason it looks like that now is because others had the same idea and over time, the polishes ate away the lacq in that area.

Nevertheless...no harm done shining it up.

Per your comment, I assume yu are NOT gonna have the horn worked on by a tech in near future so a chem or sonic bath is out, although it would be the best starting point for cleaning a horn body.

Next, I will assume that you don't wanna try to disassemble the horn yourself...so a home brew chem bath is also not in cards.

In which case...go buy some Maas or Wenol red tube polish paste, and a fine microfibre cloth (the kind for glass of stainless steel) and give the horn a few rounds of that. You will likely need to do it twice.

Don't use Brasso or Noxon...too caustic and those WILL further eat away the lacquer there.

Then you can either just let the newly cleaned bare brass patina naturally, or you can shine it back up now and again with a Blitz cloth for Plated Instruments, available online or at music stores, usually.

Enjoy the horn !!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I've ordered some Maas and microfibre cloths from Amazon and will try this method.

Our local lockdown prevents any pro work at this stage, sadly. You are right that I'm not keen to disassemble it myself. Yesterday I managed to fix a few issues but don't want to chance my arm and end up with no instrument.

I'll post another pic once I've got the shine.

Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Dont use metal polish. The only thing to do is clean the area with a tarnish remover. Since the lacquer has been mostly rubbed off that whole area and the horn may have been buffed/relacquered, you should not use an abrasive polish again. I use 'Lime-Away' which is available at grocery stores and hardware stores. You can wet a terry cloth with it and just rub away the tarnish/dirt. Use a clean cloth wet with water to wipe off the residue of the treatment. I'm guessing you have lacquer in the engraving and its never going to stand out without removing it, which would be a nasty job.
Here's a sax with original lacquer, where the engraving was tarnished and cleaned the way I said.
BTW, this was my Martin.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,210 Posts
I want to get my Kohlert's re-engraved because its patina has obscured it

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have done a lot of experimenting with brass finishes in my saxophone repair work. Jax Chemicals has three products that I have used: Brass and Copper & Gold Cleaner which takes a while to brighten brass Instant Brass and Copper Cleaner which works instantly, and Jax Gold Finish. The first two photos below show the effect after dipping the parts in the Instant Brass and Copper Cleaner for just a few seconds. Being very acidic, the solution "etches" the brass which is easily buffed out. The last two photos show a Super 20 neck tenon after buffing, and then after dipping in Jax Gold Finish to match the original color (which is easier to control the shade if it is diluted 50:50 with water). The part was then given a few coats of Nikolas clear lacquer to protect the finish. I have had no success trying to do touch up on a surface like the one that is the topic of this thread. The only way to make it look good would be to strip the remaining lacquer, then buff/polish the entire surface which in this case would be the bell section. However, lightly polishing the bare brass areas would make it look better than it does now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks everyone for the advice. I went ahead and tried the Maas this evening. I'm happy with the way the engraving has become so much more prominent. What do you think?

The rest of the horn is a bit of a state so I'll wait until I feel more confident about dismantling it before trying anything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.