Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An overview of some artists in the Polish Jazz scene of 1966...
Some superb playing. Very contemporary and avant-garde for the time.

(for those not interested the Dixieland stops around the 3.20 mark - for those interested this playing is superb)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Very nice, thank you! Good Piccolo-playing (if you like that stuff) around 28.00. The presentator is Joachim-Ernst Berendt, who was called the "pope of jazz" in Germany because of his influantial and omnipresent position in this genre.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
That was fun!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice, thank you! Good Piccolo-playing (if you like that stuff) around 28.00. The presenter is Joachim-Ernst Berendt, who was called the "pope of jazz" in Germany because of his influential and omnipresent position in this genre.
Yes Excellent Piccolo Playing - Agreed ...
Thanks for the information regarding the presenter and his relationship to the jazz scene of the time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
At the beginning of the film,
the musicians improvise on the theme of Polish highlander melody "Hey, wild water"
(here you are first word's phrase: "...Hey, wild water, wild water, the bud (girl) asked about Janicek (Johnny) ...".
Such a simple epic mountain folk story ...
And music - really dynamic, "wild" improvisation, great dixieland technique, crazy and elegant 60's time.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My dad loved Dixieland. Our city hosted the Old Sacramento Dixieland Jazz Jubilee for many years. He attended it every year from 1974 until his death in 1992. One of the bands that crowds loved best was from Poland. Sorry don't remember the name of the band. It was my dad's thing, not mine. Sadly the festival slowly died out along with its followers. In the 80s they had 85,000 paid guests. Only 22,000 in 2017. In 2017 they held the last one.

I watched the Warsaw Stompers part of your video. It's hard not to tap your toe when you hear that music. It always gives me a lift. The energy is always positive. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts