Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of trying to play a police "siren" sound on tenor. I don't think I can bend notes well enough to do an American-style siren, so I think I need to use a two-note European/English style siren. Any suggestions for notes/intervals I should try for a good siren sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
I bend notes w/ lower teeth on reed to get a screamy' sireny' sound... plus singing with or against throat/hum style... My Buffet SDA tenor has way more phonc/sonic harmonics than alotta other tenors I've played...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you go for the two tones you can maybe use quarter-tone fingerings and get something between a fourth and a tritone, that would probably sound good. and then turn around while playing to get the doppler effect :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
and then turn around while playing to get the doppler effect And this move can produce the 'vodka' effect... 'No problem'

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,895 Posts
Try a (concert) Bb to a slightly flat Ab. You will need to bend to get the right effect. As eugeneherman said, the doppler effect is important (the flattening of the whole thing as the car moves away from you.

I think you will need more than just turning around to get this, I used to just bend even more for the actual dopplerisation.

·
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check them out to see how they work. If I spin around with a flashlight strapped to my head, maybe I can get the flashing light AND the doppler effect at the same time! But the song is early in the set, and the 'vodka' effect could be a problem, especially if I fall on the B3, which is already tempermental...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
For the European siren you could try the old Blues shake - finger Eb2, then raise the LH third finger (G key). You can use that to shake between G and Bb. Play it slowly and it is close.

Reminds of the joke about the guy that committed suicide because he couldn't remember the bridge to Over the Rainbow...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Play minor 3rds, then go down in semitones and get quieter until the police car dissapears into the distance

·
Registered
320 Posts
Alternate between front high F and high C just below that while moving the 3 fingers on the right hand randomly. Tighten up on the F and loosen a little on the C to get an augmented fourth. Gradually go flatter and fade for the Doppler effect. My old band director would tell us that if you practice making bad sounds they'll come easy after a while.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
This works for me. I've been getting into dissonance and sub/overtones etc lately - place your fingers on all the keys as for mixolydian mode in C, blow into your mpc, then extend to close bottom Bb, then lift both the E and the A key, then close same alternately. Hope this makes sense (and hope this helps)

·
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A plethora of sirens! I have tried the ones in posts thru #7; of those, Pete Thomas' seemed to work the best for me. I'll check out the later ones.

I had a solo in a version of "Stagger Lee" that was right around the time he got shot by the police, and was going to use the siren effect then, but I didn't have a chance to try it in rehearsal, and I decided not to do it for the first time in performance. (Okay, I chickened out.) This is fun, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts