Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been using metal mouthpieces most of my adult life. I notice that the gold wears off over the years. Are we slowly poisoning ourselves, either with the worn off gold/silver, or with the eventually tarnished brass underneath?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
Joined
·
4,202 Posts
I'm hardly a doctor but people eat gold leaf on cake sometimes (never understood it but hey I've never had that kind of money either). I'm not sure about silver. Some people have allergies to brass. There doesn't appear to be any evidence to suggest that their are toxicity issues in regards to metal mouthpieces but then again I'm not sure that the subject has been specifically studied.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
It is my understanding that they use gold or other plating to avoid contact with bare brass which does have some bad health effects.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
34,046 Posts
Upon what is your "understanding" based? Net wisdom???

Where is the dead horse emoticon?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
Dr. G:

I have heard that several places. Also, I have a Jody Jazz mp with some unplating which Jody advised to keep covered by a patch for health reasons.

I did not intend to address it scientifically, but to offer information which might be helpful. That is why it was stated as an "understanding" rather than as a substantiated fact or opinion.

Do you agree that bare brass can be toxic or an allergen?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
34,046 Posts
I have addressed it scientifically several times in the past.

I agree that some people have a sensitivity to metals. I do NOT agree that bare brass is toxic in the application of a mouthpiece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Many people are allergic to many different metals. My mother is allergic to gold...(woot, cheap christmas)....and she can only wear sterling silver it's hypoallergenicly treated.

That being said, nickel, zinc, copper, many earth metals can cause reactions to people in different ways, wether it's skin, ingestion, whatever. There's a good chance that if brass is causing a problem, that's it one or more of the metals used to make it up that you have an allergic reaction to.

- Pat
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
Joined
·
4,046 Posts
I would say there are far more dangerous things in life then the mouthpiece you're using.

We men only live for about 80 years. I doubt if you sucked on a bare brass mouthpiece for even 65 of those years it would do anything at all.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
Joined
·
3,764 Posts
Isn't this whole kerfuffle rather like the 450 pound woman (I have a pic I can post if anyone's interested :D ), who orders a skim milk cappucinino for fear of extra calories?

The few people who are allergic to brass aside, the rest of us are far more likely to be taken and probed by aliens, than suffer any ill effects from a few hours a day playing the saxophone.

You foreigners worry too much. :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
961 Posts
DogPants, I understand that you have already been taken and probed by aliens..... be careful, mouthpiece poisoning is next..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
Grumps said:
Well, there is lead in brass...
Agree. Some brass does indeed contain lead in order to assist with certain production processes (though less so these days). Sticking lead in your mouth is never a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,205 Posts
I think that this was discussed before and the conclusion was that the tarnish or oxidation protects you from really coming in contact with bare brass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
That's interesting. It's an area I have no expertise in whatsoever but David Zagar has a web page on it here. I have no idea how accurate or true it is because as I said I donb't know what I'm talking about, but it's interesting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Paganini died of some heavy metals, look how brilliant he was ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Hammertime said:
Paganini died of some heavy metals, look how brilliant he was ;)
Continuous exposure to heavy metal can be detrimental to anyone's health, particularly if accompanied by violent head banging.

One of my friends used to suffer from this, but he's "Alright Now."
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
34,046 Posts
Rick Adams said:
That's interesting. It's an area I have no expertise in whatsoever but David Zagar has a web page on it here. I have no idea how accurate or true it is because as I said I donb't know what I'm talking about, but it's interesting...
Just because you see it on the web doesn't make it true. It's obvious that he's exercising net knowledge to see his products. It's right up there on my list next to cryotreatment.

Read the MSDSs on the topic of you really care. I have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Rick Adams said:
That's interesting. It's an area I have no expertise in whatsoever but David Zagar has a web page on it here. I have no idea how accurate or true it is because as I said I donb't know what I'm talking about, but it's interesting...
I found this sentence from Zagar's write-up telling: "When we receive enquiries about the allergies that people are experiencing with mouthpieces, we suggest that these sax players try out our products."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
Dr G said:
Just because you see it on the web doesn't make it true. It's obvious that he's exercising net knowledge to see his products. It's right up there on my list next to cryotreatment.

Read the MSDSs on the topic of you really care. I have.
Dr G, please help me out here, I'm not certain what you're saying. Are you saying I'm a weak minded and credulous person who believes everything I read on the Internet? Are you also saying I don't care because I haven't researched this particular subject as thoroughly as you have or read the same information as you? And finally are you saying that David Zagar is a charlatan snake oil merchant who is just out to frighten people and make a quick buck? This is how your post reads to me, but I wanted to check this because other posts you've made have been very intersting and informative and maybe I've got completely the wrong end of the stick and it's just your style of expression or my lack of reading skills :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
Joined
·
4,046 Posts
Who cares the whole world is polluted, the water your drinking even if it's bottled is far more hazardous to your health than the mouthpiece your blowing on. I suspect that even hard rubber mouthpieces probably have trace elements that might be considered toxic.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top