Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have zero experience with Mauriat horns but on a whim I paid out for a Le Bravo alto from an online used goods store, no hassle returns policy etc for $850......... I figured at that price I couldn’t lose.... Well, it arrived today and I opened the case to find a vintage dark LQ 67R. It’s in really good condition and plays really well with the serial number ending 08, and those above it in 03. Are these relevant to dating it? Would you say this is better than the Le Bravo or has time overtaken this 67R in terms of build quality? Either way, $850???? Seems a bargain to me 😊. I’m just getting serious about playing again after a 12year absence and was enjoying a cheap Jupiter until today. Wow. What a stroke of luck. I can’t help but feel guilty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The serial number is relevant to dating, meaning that yes, it was made in March of 2008. Sounds like a bargain to me. In my experience, the 67r plays better than the Le Bravo. Of course, a buddy of mine says the opposite, (he owns a Le Bravo.) Sounds like a great deal to me, assuming that the horn is real. I'd definitely consider you lucky, congrats! :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, it's definitely genuine. Although I have to admit, it's virtually, if not absolutely identical (bar the rolled tone holes) to another alto I have under a different name......That one plays wonderfully too. Which to keep.......... ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am also moving from the Le Bravo to a 67R (gold lac). With my minimal training (5 years) as a late bloomer, I find the 67R better sounding (brighter, focused) but I will miss the nickel silver neck... :(

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s quite an ending to my ‘ownership’ of this horn. It turns out it was stolen 6 months ago. I’m pleased to say it’s going back to it’s owner who has really missed it and was quite devastated when it was taken. He’s not seen it for 6 months and I’m taking great pride in helping this guy get a horn back that he owned for over 10 years. A proper gigging and busking musician so I’m well chuffed for him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
There’s quite an ending to my ‘ownership’ of this horn. It turns out it was stolen 6 months ago. I’m pleased to say it’s going back to it’s owner who has really missed it and was quite devastated when it was taken. He’s not seen it for 6 months and I’m taking great pride in helping this guy get a horn back that he owned for over 10 years. A proper gigging and busking musician so I’m well chuffed for him.
Kudos to you for helping him get it back:cheers:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Wow, that's great! Would you mind letting us know a few details? How did you find out it was stolen? Was the thief caught? How did you find the owner?

·
Registered
708 Posts
How did you find out?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok......As already mentioned, I purchased what I thought was a Le Bravo, but when I realised it was a 67R, it was a no-brainer: Flip it for the extra cash to lay down for a TJ Signature Custom. I also purchased a vintage LQ Antigua Power Bell for peanuts (which is exactly the same as the PM to my eyes), so I knew I had 2 decent horns. The more desirable horn (mauriat) had to go.

I listed it on eBay and the original owner contacted me asking questions about the horn, ie how long have I owned it etc. Alarm bells started to ring immediately, and when he came back saying his had been stolen, I removed it from sale until we could look into this further. Let's just say I found something in the case that proved beyond doubt it was stolen, so I contacted the owner and the police.

We are in regular contact as I still have the horn, but it really helps knowing it's going back to really decent hard working guy. He's out playing on the streets of London and the home counties most days, and also performs at functions in the evenings.

The dealer I purchased it from has been really good to work with, but they are requesting the horn go back to them so they can persue a prosecution. I'm just waiting for that nod of approval from the police.

As the saying goes: "If it seems too good to be true, it usually is", Well, yes, and no. I have the Powerbell which is superb in it's own right. This whole experience has been extremely stressful, but also quite rewarding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What a great story. It will be nice for that owner to get his horn back in hopefully the same condition as he last saw it. Good on you for doing the right thing and hope you are not out anything more than your time.

Please keep us posted as I would love to hear that they catch the thief and bring him to justice.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both the sax and the owner have been reunited and I was fully refunded. I was very taken with the 67R so I’ve settled with an all brass Swing 55JX as my replacement. It feels the same in the hands and sounds very similar.

As I understand it, someone was arrested but what happened after that, I don’t know. My work here is done. Ahem. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts