Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Not blew the handmade PMS yet but had a WWBW MBII,found it to bright compared to my old DG handmade MBII which had much more body.Checkout Sakshama for a handmade bronze MBII,thats the man for a custom made G piece.My MB1 he done in bronze was a killer piece,he makes all G models and to your spec.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Thanks, yeah I have a Sakshama MBII and I don't like it as much as my WWBW MBII.
What do you find between the 2 MBII's,which is brighter,fatter,free blowing etc.What tip is your saks mp.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gosh, that's a hard question really, they are of course very similar. The Sakshama is a 112 tip opening I think. I can just do so much more on the WWBW, like I'm really into spliting all the altissimo notes ala Brecker, not by humming or singing, just spliting. It takes tiny movements in your embochure and throat. The Sakshama just won't allow it. I think I can hear the bronze when I play it too, if that makes sense. But I often think I sound a bit too bright and have tried lots of pieces, to get a bit of a fatter sound. I sometimes think I'm asking too much and you just can't get a mouthpiece that does it all, you have to compromise I guess.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Gosh, that's a hard question really, they are of course very similar. The Sakshama is a 112 tip opening I think. I can just do so much more on the WWBW, like I'm really into spliting all the altissimo notes ala Brecker, not by humming or singing, just spliting. It takes tiny movements in your embochure and throat. The Sakshama just won't allow it. I think I can hear the bronze when I play it too, if that makes sense. But I often think I sound a bit too bright and have tried lots of pieces, to get a bit of a fatter sound. I sometimes think I'm asking too much and you just can't get a mouthpiece that does it all, you have to compromise I guess.
The WWBW MBII's are in a 116 tip,your Saks is a 112,that might be a factor,to many it might not but to me it would.I need aleast a 115 upwards.Theres the reed thing of course softer v's harder but any thing less than a 115 on most pieces the thing just shuts up shop.We all have our own thing going on when we blow so each to his own as they say.As for my WWBW MBII it had a great mid to bottom sound,very full but after that it got intence,as said my handmade Guardala was nicer allround ,wish i had kept that baby.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah might be the tip thing, I did tell him I played a WWBW MBII though. Oh well, I can't afford to get another.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
Sorry mrsaxpunk to disappoint you. Each of the Guardala models have its optimal tip opening to function to the fullest and .112 for MBII is at best borderline. I had requests to make Kings at .108 , MB at .100 and so on but in reality high baffle pieces behave differently than other mouthpieces and those requests are not going to produce anything good. I can open your MBII further if you wish. PM or email me to arrange.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..would be my recomendation...send it to Sakshama....you'll be glad you did!!!(shameless Tim Price quote)

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry mrsaxpunk to disappoint you. Each of the Guardala models have its optimal tip opening to function to the fullest and .112 for MBII is at best borderline. I had requests to make Kings at .108 , MB at .100 and so on but in reality high baffle pieces behave differently than other mouthpieces and those requests are not going to produce anything good. I can open your MBII further if you wish. PM or email me to arrange.
Thanks Sakshama, I'll do that.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
You definitely know your stuff. Not only Guardalas but all mouthpieces have their own "sweet spots". Venture outside of them and they just lose something.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
But the player/embouchure is a factor too. I think their optimal tip opening for a mouthpiece design can be a little above or below what the masses like. They loose something by playing on a tip opening that is not right for them.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I'd like to point out that I do like the Sakshama MBII and could use it. I just prefer the WWBW at the moment. I will PM Sakshama later and take him up on his kind offer and hopfully, I'll like his mothpiece more when I get it back. He is obviously a gentleman and I know from what I read on here, does great work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts