Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Tennessee. Just wondering if anyone's gotten to extensively try the range of sopranos offered by PM. Seems like they've got several models out and I'd like to know any significant differences anyone could offer between them.

Many thanks,

Rahsaan

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cant say that I have tried the range of PM sops, but do have their tipped bell model.

http://www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=PMSS601DKSop

But then I also have a Lyon&Healy straight sop (Martin), and a Rampone & Cazzani silver curvie SOP. Both which are slightly deeper in tone. ... thus I will likely have the PM up for sale shortly. The PM though, is very versatile, great intonation and very sturdyily built.

W.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
I have not tried all PM sops, but recently got a black-pearl curved soprano that PM customized for me.

At first, the horn was resistant, then I brought it to a friend to adjust (regulate) it, and now it SINGS!

Compared with my Yami 475, the PM sop is on the lighter, more focused side in terms of tone. It is quite a toy, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
System 76 feedback

I played a PMSS-64 today. Beautiful sound. Honestly, a little pitchy, but I do play a vintage 8*, not the most easy-to-use piece. Really warm and focused. Not "whiny" bright, which is my current gripe with my silver YSS-875. Neat axe. I really want to play their 76 Soprano!

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
YSS 875 Sop

Hi!

May I see some pics of your YSS 875 sop? Do you want to sell it?

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks,

·
Registered
390 Posts
BBJQSAX said:
I played a PMSS-64 today. Beautiful sound. Honestly, a little pitchy, but I do play a vintage 8*, not the most easy-to-use piece. Really warm and focused. Not "whiny" bright, which is my current gripe with my silver YSS-875. Neat axe. I really want to play their 76 Soprano!
I just put my Antigua A590LQ for sale in the Marketplace, as I already placed an order for a 76 soprano. With all the good things I have read about the PM sopranos, I'll probably end up with a 76 or 64.
I am looking forward to playing and owning one of these horns.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well,
The sale fell through on the Antigua 590LQ, and I ended up with a PMSS64, as the delivery time of the 76 was almost indeterminate.
The 64 is quite sturdily built, and plays as well as my Antigua, except that it is a much warmer sounding horn, and doesn't distort when pushed like the Antigua does, especially in the lower register.
I still need to get used to it more, work out some kinks, but I believe it a definite keeper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PMSS-64 and System-76 of P.Mauriat

BBJQSAX said:
Can you tell me how much did you paid for the PMSS-64? and do you know the 76 soprano's price?

·
Registered
291 Posts
System 76

I am the proud owner of a PM system 76. I bought from a fellow SOTW member a little while ago.

Mine is the actual horn that was reviewed on the PM site here

It is a great horn. Sturdy construction, lightning keywork and really sings. I use a Super Session J on it which makes you work for precise intonation (not the horn's fault), and I'm really enjoying it.

I have to say that it is not the YSS-62 one piece I had years ago. It is just different. Maybe my memory is a little sugar coated when it comes to my old Yam..... But then again I don't think there is a horn in production today that fills the gap the YSS-62 left when they stopped producing it.

But still the System 76 is a great horn. Mine is the gold lacquered version.
I would be interested in a trade perhaps for your 875. I would like a little more brightness and you would like less, I think we can help each other. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
253 Posts
wmclean--what do you mean by "deeper in tone" re: your other sopranos? Deep vs. what? Thin-sounding? Edgey? I played a 64 last weekend and thought it sounded similar to an old Conn soprano--which in my mind is a great thing, though it's been awhile since I've picked-up one of those Conns, so I may be misremembering.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BBJQSAX said:
Greetings from Tennessee. Just wondering if anyone's gotten to extensively try the range of sopranos offered by PM. Seems like they've got several models out and I'd like to know any significant differences anyone could offer between them.

Many thanks,

Rahsaan
I've got the PM saxello and I LOVE it!! I auditioned it with a Yani, a Selmer Series II, and a Yamaha. The PM had a nicer sound and feel than any of the others. It plays remarkably in tune and just sounds great.

bigtiny

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am interested in buying a P. Mauriat curved soprano, but could not get in contact with the right person in their office in Taipei. Can anybody provide me the info I need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts