Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at first I used her You tube channel for info on various flutes and once in a while while bored I'd check out what she said about the day in the life of a Masters Degree program person. But as I watched more and more of her short info vids I got curious so I bought a trial lesson with her and then am now in the second series of 4 lessons. (I intend to go at least a year with her) I've studied for 3 years with a local (very good ) flutiest who just raised her rates to 60 for 45 minutes. so Joanne who is 62 for an hour and I don't have to drive 45 minutes each way to the studio was a good alternative. I like her. She's smart, listens well and has quite a few different ideas on various aspect of flute that my last teacher didn't . Im sure there are many great Skype Flute teachers out there but for now I'm with her. K

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
She seems to have a relaxed likable style and I suspect she's a fine player. Hard to judge her teaching skills from just the video clips but if you say she's good I'd believe you. What does bug me and it seems to be the norm with the way many (especially younger) folks make these videos and have "YouTube Channels" is all the cuts, splices, editing, whatever the term is for it. That drives me nuts- clip,clip,clip,clip --ahhhhh it's neurotic and becomes very difficult for me to watch.

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean. She has no money for any production in the videos so since its all one cam, one angle shooting she adds "interest" by all the cut and back in the basic video. She was smart to do all this. Her main income is Skype lessons and she's been shooting weekly videos all through her school from freshman to masters degree. I tell my students in my adult ed class if they can't afford to pay a teacher for private lessons there is much good content there for free. And she is much less goofy in a lesson.and much more like a masters caliber helping someone at a freshman /soph level on flute, like me K
She seems to have a relaxed likable style and I suspect she's a fine player. Hard to judge her teaching skills from just the video clips but if you say she's good I'd believe you. What does bug me and it seems to be the norm with the way many (especially younger) folks make these videos and have "YouTube Channels" is all the cuts, splices, editing, whatever the term is for it. That drives me nuts- clip,clip,clip,clip --ahhhhh it's neurotic and becomes very difficult for me to watch.

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And for better or worse, since her main audience are "kids" they actually seem to like that style. I ignore it if I watch her vids for a specific reason/purpose K

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
And for better or worse, since her main audience are "kids" they actually seem to like that style. I ignore it if I watch her vids for a specific reason/purpose K
Yeah, I've been training myself to ignore it as well. I've been watching a lot of cycling videos by this guy Russ Roca and his girlfriend Laura ( http://www.pathlesspedaled.com/ ) as cycling is my other passion outside of playing sax & flute. He uses that same style and the more I watch the less I notice it. I can see splicing something when you say something you really didn't want to say but it seems like they do it too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts