Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
Sax, Flute, Keyboard, Vocal
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fooling around looking at horns today in Oakland at Best Music and wasn't happy with how their new 82Z played so the tech dropped what he was doing and tweaked the 82 Z (which I didn't buy) untill it played well. While I was trialing out the 82Z he picked up my horn (48 the Martin) and expanded the neck, put on some misc corks that had fallen off and spruced up the pads. What did all this cost?? The 16 bucks I paid for a box of Vandoran reeds!!!!!! Now that is customer service. Oh yeah, also the guy helping me out upstairs looking at tenors worked in Paris last year as a mouthpiece consultant for Vandoran. These guys are great. Service to die for. K

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey Keith that was BestRepair on 14th st. in Oakland, right? Bob & Dick are the best! They've done 3-4 overhauls for me over the years. Good stuff, great work. 8)

·
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ben, this guy was named Ken and he used to be one of the repairmen at the House of Woodwinds when it was still open. Both the techs there moved over to Best music when HOW folded. K

·
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been years. Don’t know who’s still in business

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,356 Posts
2 weeks ago I bought a vintage alto off ebay that was overhauled in 2020 at Best Music (according to the seller) and the horn blows effortlessly from low Bb to High F...with slick action. I was impressed.

Reactions: Keith Ridenhour
1 - 6 of 6 Posts