Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had finished practicing last night, and left a few of the reeds and my mouthpiece on the coffee table in front of me. Walked in this morning to practice again and my tenor mouthpiece and reeds were all the floor, all chewed up by my dog. :cry:

Can the mouthpiece people tell me...Could this be repaired?? I loved the tone I was getting out of this mouthpiece so much. Or do I have to go buy a new one... :(

I live in S. California and my teacher said before he can help me get in touch with John Reilley(I hope that's spelled correctly) if I ever needed any mouthpiece work. I just hope this can be repaired.

Will post pics later when it finishes uploading

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Pictures would help to determine if it is salvageable.

I had a dog chew up a mpc once. I just called it a loss and bought a new one.

My suggestion would be to do the same, unless the damage is minor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If there were ever an argument to only play metal mouthpieces, yours would have to be one for it. :badgrin: I am truly sorry for your loss though and sorry for the joke at your expense. Good luck finding a new one!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I've heard many stories of unsuccessful mouthpiece restorations and none of succesful restorations. It's an expensive process with little chance of success.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,465 Posts
Yeah, its new mpc time lol... Your dog went to town on that piece

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna say that's way past the point of being repairable.

While not cheap, at least it's not a vintage, out of production piece or some $400+ mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
It could still be salvaged for use as a doorstop.:twisted:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, thanks everyone. It'll definitely cost me more money for this one, I bought it used from a friend.

Also, I won't leave my mouthpiece out on the table anymore.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know where to get a Berg Larsen Grained Ebonite 110/2 SMS in the US? I can't find that specific tip/chamber type. Perhaps ordering it online? Cause wwbw doesn't seem to have it. The only place I've found it so far is on the Berg Larsen website for 190 euros. Which is way out of my range, considering I got mine for 80 USD. SamAsh seems to have it for 150 USD, but they don't have it for 110/2 SMS.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,650 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
It cn probably be fied but it should be more money and trouble than it's worth. I doubt you'll do better than $150. Don't expect to get exactly the same mouthpiece if you order another 110/2 sms. The tolerances for Bergs is pretty wide, as long as it's a 2 chamber, anything from a 105 to 115 (maybe wider) in either facing has as good a chance to be close to your old piece as one with the same nominal specs. If there's a shop near you that has some try them all and pick one out. If not get the cheapest one with the right chamber and near the right size and cross your fingers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In this day and age there is no need (unless you are specifically attached to the idea of buying in the US ) to buy an item such as a mouthpiece in a shop near you. You can get the best prices by shopping around the world.
http://www.bill-lewington.com/blarsen.htm
http://shop.weinermusic.com/Larsen-Saxophone-Mouthpieces/products/1324/
http://www.sax.co.uk/acatalog/Berg_LarsenTenorebonite.html
Are they all SMS facing? Since these sites are in Europe. And the cost of international shipping + the mouthpiece itself may be hefty. That's my main concern.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It cn probably be fied but it should be more money and trouble than it's worth. I doubt you'll do better than $150. Don't expect to get exactly the same mouthpiece if you order another 110/2 sms. The tolerances for Bergs is pretty wide, as long as it's a 2 chamber, anything from a 105 to 115 (maybe wider) in either facing has as good a chance to be close to your old piece as one with the same nominal specs. If there's a shop near you that has some try them all and pick one out. If not get the cheapest one with the right chamber and near the right size and cross your fingers.
Definitely wish I could, but I think my local store only carries the metal Bergs. I just want to get that same feeling and same tone back. Of course it won't be the same, hopefully close, or better! The chamber of the destroyed version is still fully in tact. You think if I did buy a new one and it wasn't the same, I could take it to be worked on to match the chamber of my old piece? Assuming its the chamber that is the problem.

On a side note, I have a Vandoren T75 Metal that I used to use. The sound quality was the same, but it was a little brighter and the low range was harder to play. Would it just be a better idea to get this refaced to play kind of like the berg I previously owned up until today?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
Definitely wish I could, but I think my local store only carries the metal Bergs. I just want to get that same feeling and same tone back. Of course it won't be the same, hopefully close, or better! The chamber of the destroyed version is still fully in tact. You think if I did buy a new one and it wasn't the same, I could take it to be worked on to match the chamber of my old piece? Assuming its the chamber that is the problem.
Any difference is going to be in the facing and the tip and baffle work, not the chamber. I doubt that it can be worked on to precisely match a piece that no longer exists, but if you get one that isn't exactly what you want, take it to JR, he can certainly get it close and probably better.

On a side note, I have a Vandoren T75 Metal that I used to use. The sound quality was the same, but it was a little brighter and the low range was harder to play. Would it just be a better idea to get this refaced to play kind of like the berg I previously owned up until today?
You'll not turn a Vandoren into a Berg. But you can turn it into a better playing Vandoren.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts