Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evey time i play my alto it sounds liike there is a lot of spit could any one tell me why this is?

and how do you get a smoother alto sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
More information please.

How long have you been playing?

Do you have a teacher?

What set-up are you playing?

etc.

A spitting sound is common for beginners. It will pass in time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Get a couple of those little packets of silica gel and duct tape them to the inside of your cheeks, that should solve the problem. Jay.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Yeah, probably because you have spit on your reed just inside your mpc.

The only "solution" I know of is just to suck hard on your mpc to try to bring the spittle out and into your mouth.

A couple of days ago, for some crazy reason I had this problem bad. I even changed mpcs twice because I thought it might have had something to do with it - as suspected it didn't. So I blew, and sucked, and I hated my sound and got so frustrated I just quit for the day.

You should also take care that you don't have too much saliva in your mouth, don't suck on any lemons or Daiquiris before playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,056 Posts
Wipe the flat part of your reed on a piece of paper and lightly polish it a bit. Should help if the reed is the cause of the spitty tone.

Please try to be more descriptive of the problem in your thread title so others will know what your problem was, and what the solution was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts