Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to work on this song soon. I'm looking for a great tenor sax solo that I can transcribe and learn from. Please recommend your favorite "Softly as in a Morning Sunrise" solo (artist and CD). Thank you!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I'm planning to work on this song soon. I'm looking for a great tenor sax solo that I can transcribe and learn from. Please recommend your favorite "Softly as in a Morning Sunrise" solo (artist and CD). Thank you!
Hey there Jlima. I always laugh when someone has an intense solo on this sing and someone else refers to the title as " Softly...".

And they interpret that the song should be played softly. I have omitted the intro. And the original I believe was in E min. Now there is nothing wrong with a "softly " rendition as there is nothing wrong with going the other way.

Now here are the lyrics and you tell me if they invoke passion or something that should go " softly":

"Softly as in a morning sunrise

The light of love comes stealing

Into a newborn day

Flaming with all the glow of sunrise

A burning kiss is sealing

A vow that all betray

For the passions that thrill love

And take you high to heaven

Are the passions that kill love

And let it fall to hell

So ends the story

Softly as in a morning sunrise

The light that gave you glory

Will take it all away

The light of love comes stealing

Into a newborn day

Flaming with all the glow of sunrise

A burning kiss is sealing

A vow that all betray

For the passions that thrill love

And take you high to heaven

Are the passions that kill love

And let it fall to hell

So ends the story

The light that gave you glory

Will take it all away

Softly as it fades away

Softly as it fades away

Softly as it fades away

Softly as it fades away

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
You know, Tim Price actually has a great clip of this on his web site -- it's Tim playing at a jam session back in the '80s. I think Tim hits all the bases of what a "serious tenor player should be able to do" on the tune, with great sound and great feel -- so much so that it's on my "sooner or later" list of tracks to be transcribed.

Check it out:

http://www.timpricejazz.com/audio/tenorjam1.mp3

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I'm really digging Sonny Rollins' 1957 versions on 'A Night At The Village Vanguard'.
Especially the 'alternate take' (which I can't find a youtube clip of) but here's the original released take:

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is one by Steve Grossman that is pretty killer. I have the transcription but not the recording. I played through the transcription and it sounds awesome.
Steve, would it be asking too much if you could share the transcription? Thanks! And what CD is it on?

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I now have to find out what CD it's in.
Found that too: it's in the 1985 CD "Standards". I've just ordered it.

Thanks so much for your input, guys. I have a lot to work on already. But keep them coming if you have more ideas.

I love this Forum!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is one by Steve Grossman that is pretty killer. I have the transcription but not the recording. I played through the transcription and it sounds awesome.
Steve, I just had an idea. What about a lesson in your site with analysis of the Steve Grossman transcription? That would be pretty cool, I think. Not that I want to overwhelm you with lesson suggestions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
I may have the recording but not the transcription. I got two recordings of this song on 2 different Grossman CD's.
At times Grossman is really "out there", fantastic player !!
Edit; after reading the whole thread instead of reacting to Steve's post[Impnt] I do now have the transcription, thanks. It is indeed from th standards CD. The live version is great too though.
(in New York)

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may have the recording but not the transcription. I got two recordings of this song on 2 different Grossman CD's.
At times Grossman is really "out there", fantastic player !!
Edit; after reading the whole thread instead of reacting to Steve's post[Impnt] I do now have the transcription, thanks. It is indeed from th standards CD. The live version is great too though.
(in New York)
Thank you, I'll check that one as well.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Jerry Bergonzi, from Caught in the Act! (1988) on Not Fat records.
19 searing minutes.

Also, of course, Trane from Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings--but that probably goes without saying!

·
2,384 Posts
What's wrong with soloing without being influenced by anyone? Isn't that the point of soloing?
What would that sound like, exactly? You got a clip?

·
2,853 Posts
What would that sound like, exactly? You got a clip?
That's the point. It would sound like you. Whatever is in your head about the piece. What's your interpretation of it? How does it makes you feel? Not what Joe Henderson felt at the time he soloed. I'm not saying we are not ever influenced by other players but........I've never understood the whole transcribing-improvisation-so-we-can-play-just-like-that thing. Maybe I just live in a different world.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts