Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just wondering what kind of case Conn 12M owners are using and your experience with it whilst on the move.

David

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The Contoured Protec bari case is perfect. Large, but perfect. And a 12M will fit in it well.

Here's where I bought mine. You get free shipping:

http://www.luggage.com/ProTec-PB311CT-PRO1239.html

PS: The glue that Protec uses in these smells really bad. If you buy one, you will want to air it out. And the smell pretty well goes away with time after it's air out. That's the only down side I found.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks enviroguy for being first off the block. Have you any experience with checking it on a plane?

David

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
No I haven't.

And if I was going to be flying regularly with a bari, I would go for one of the higher-end flight cases. The Protec probably will not protect your bari enough during baggage handling unless it is well packed in another box.

If you use the search function, there are several really good threads where professionals talk about flying with bari saxes. Most go for the high-end cases.

I always carried my bari in the back of an SUV. And the Protec was ideal for that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks for sharing. My dilemma is that I will be bringing back my 12M with me from NYC to Singapore but do not envisage traveling with it by plane again after that. So this alone my not justify BAM prices. Alternatively, I was thinking of packing it well in its original case but may be afraid that that would exceed the airlines max 80 inch all round limit.

David

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
I keep my vintage Conn bari in a DEG case. It's the basic wooden box style, and it's heavy. I'm not sure how I'd feel putting it in the cargo hold of a plane, but I'd trust it more than a Protec, so long as I added padding inside to give it some extra protection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts