Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! please introduce me some good clarinet mouthpieces for classical playing.

and maybe some for Jazz as well!

thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,248 Posts
I like my Caravan for 'classical' and for years used a Morgan J-6 for Jazz-ish playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,415 Posts
Not all mouthpieces work well on all clarinets. What horn is this mouthpiece to go on?
Personally I don't believe there are 'classical' and 'jazz' mouthpieces. Only 'Clarinet' mouthpieces.
It's the stooge behind the horn that plays in the 'classical' style or 'jazz' style.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, thanks for the info, because i am from sax family, and there seems quite a big difference between the classical mp and the jazz mp. So, which one would you recommend? My new clarinet (same as me a newbie) is a cheap chinese clarinet, I hope to get a better mp to make it sound better... does it make sense?
Not all mouthpieces work well on all clarinets. What horn is this mouthpiece to go on?
Personally I don't believe there are 'classical' and 'jazz' mouthpieces. Only 'Clarinet' mouthpieces.
It's the stooge behind the horn that plays in the 'classical' style or 'jazz' style.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
has anyone tried this one?
Rico Reserve Bb Clarinet Mouthpiece, Medium Facing,
good tone, easy blowing, ....?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,638 Posts
My to-go clarinet mouthpiece has been a Selmer C85 115 for years and years. I find that it works well for classical and jazz, it can be very loud if needed. My other mouthpieces are much more quieter and darker (better for classical) but I think this Selmer mpc is very versatile.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,415 Posts
Oh, thanks for the info, because i am from sax family, and there seems quite a big difference between the classical mp and the jazz mp. So, which one would you recommend? My new clarinet (same as me a newbie) is a cheap chinese clarinet, I hope to get a better mp to make it sound better... does it make sense?
Some 'cheap chinese' clarinets won't sound good no matter what mouthpiece you put on it.
Since you are a newbie I would suggest the Bundy Signature HR mouthpiece. It's one of the better 'student' mouthpieces and you probably won't outgrow it any time soon.
If you have a larger budget a Selmer HS*, Portnoy 3, or maybe a Vandoren B45 might be a good place to start looking.

And just a side note from a clarinetist.... Since you are a sax player it would be in your best interest to have another clarinetist show you the proper embouchure. Getting that most important issue out of the way will probably take you farther than a new mouthpiece.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you for your advises, i will take them!
:>
Some 'cheap chinese' clarinets won't sound good no matter what mouthpiece you put on it.
Since you are a newbie I would suggest the Bundy Signature HR mouthpiece. It's one of the better 'student' mouthpieces and you probably won't outgrow it any time soon.
If you have a larger budget a Selmer HS*, Portnoy 3, or maybe a Vandoren B45 might be a good place to start looking.

And just a side note from a clarinetist.... Since you are a sax player it would be in your best interest to have another clarinetist show you the proper embouchure. Getting that most important issue out of the way will probably take you farther than a new mouthpiece.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is mostly true. However, some mouthpieces work better for Jazz and some work better for Classical (if you are speaking strict genres). I think of Classical as when I'm going to solo with the orchestra or play in the orchestra. I think of Jazz when I'm playing clarinet in a big band or soloing with a big band on clarinet.

Typically, a smaller tip opening mouthpiece will not work great for jazz playing - primarily because the volume/projection is so hard to get. Larger tip openings (1.20+) work well - and you can really blow without fear of pitch dropping or spreading. On the other hand, I play a 1.20 tip opening mouthpiece in the orchestra - an asymmetrical facing. If I were to stand out front of the jazz ensemble and play Bernstein Prelude Fugue and Riffs, or the Gould Derivations - I would use a 1.20 tip symmetrical facing for more projection.

So - some mouthpieces can be more jazz oriented than others, but strictly speaking - it really isn't the wand - it's the musician!

·
3,561 Posts
At this point, for the $$, its a total no brainer. RICO RESERVE CLARINET MOUTHPIECES. They are incredibly good!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a Rico reserve smallest facing and it gets the job done, but my friend let me try his Gaia Theo wanne for clarinet, and you cn sound pretty jazzy on it! Very loud too

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I use a Yamaha Hard Rubber mouthpiece for clarinet. It's the YAC 1208. It just does things better for me over the others I tried.

·
3,561 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts