Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a private lesson today. And for some strange reason, my horn just wasn't working for me, I felt alot of resistance down low. I asked my PT, and he said it was probably my reed, and it could have been. But I tried it out on both different mouthpieces, kept the same reed it was still very reluctant to play down low.
I then asked to play one of his 23's, and he said sure but he was going to play my Yani. So I asked to play his Selmer, and he said sure no problem. I played it, and I think I may have a serious case of Selmeritous.
Here are the pro's and cons of each horn.
Yani 800
Pros: It is paid for, has a "warantee", I can feel that it has alot of power.
Cons: It fights like heck on the bottom notes, very reistant and it feels like just a horn.
Selmer Series I
Pros: It feels like a part of my body you know like a extention of my arms. It has a very warm sweet tone that I dig.
Cons: Cost
Selmer reminded me of my Martin in a very good way.
Do I just have a bad case of G.A.S.? Or does selling my Alto and getting a Selmer after some saving make some sence? Or should I just fight this crazy resistance my horn has devoleped?

~Carbs

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can always stick a small light into the horn, and start closing the keys. If light's coming out of the tone holes, you know that you have some leaks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Here we go again:D

Who told you to save for a Selmer in the first place?:D

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
edhara said:
You can always stick a small light into the horn, and start closing the keys. If light's coming out of the tone holes, you know that you have some leaks.
I can do that, but I don't know what to do, and will just make the horn more unplayable.

And Martinman was right, here we go again.

I am just sick of it. I put alot of time and money into each horn. I gain it back, when I sell. But it is just tiring. I research the horn, get it fixed becuase it usually needs some work. But for some reason it doesn't pan out. The martin was the closest any Alto has gotten to feeling like it is apart of me. Though the Selmer beat it today. Again any advice would be helpful? Legitamate case?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Carbs,

This is becoming a lot like forum herpes. Irritating, contagious to the unwary, and just when you think you've beaten it, back it comes.

Is it remotely possible that the culprit is just;

A) you were having a bad day? It happens.

B) you are so fixated on gear, and the minutae of said gear, that you convince yourself there's problems with the horn when none exist?

C) you had a bad reed? It happens.

D) you keep swapping and changing gear so often, that you've never come to terms with the peculiarities of any particular setup?

E) You need to find a teacher that won't pander to this sort of BS, and will tell you to get over yourself and learn to play any one of the setups you currently own?

F) you just really enjoy the attention that starting these threads brings you, even though that attention is becoming increasingly negative.

Seriously Carbs, what gives fella? You've asked this question in a thousand different ways, a million different times. You've received help both on the forum and privately from many of us.

To bastardise Churchill,

"Never, in the history of this forum, have so many, gone to such effort, for such little apparent result."

·
Registered
300 Posts
Carbs said:
I can do that, but I don't know what to do, and will just make the horn more unplayable.
Sticking a light down the horn doesn't it unplayable unless you're really knocking it around.

I'm just saying do that to check it for leaks and such and take it to a competent repairperson.

I am just sick of it. I put alot of time and money into each horn. I gain it back, when I sell. But it is just tiring. I research the horn, get it fixed becuase it usually needs some work. But for some reason it doesn't pan out. The martin was the closest any Alto has gotten to feeling like it is apart of me. Though the Selmer beat it today. Again any advice would be helpful? Legitamate case?
Do you keep taking it back to the same repair place? I'd try someone different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I agree with Dog Pants man, Its time to start shedding and stop nit picking about your equipment. No horn is 100% perfect, even the best horns have some faults buried there.

The Yani you have is a GREAT horn, its time to slap a new reed on and go practice!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Carbs, If you would spend more time in the shed, and less time on the computer, you would be a much better musician. A better teacher, or tech might be a small part of the answer, but the rest is up to you. Yamaha, and Yani's are great horns! Stop the G.A.S. now! It's probably the worse case in High School history! It's YOU, not the horn!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Okay... reading through the other threads you've posted...

It sounds like you're looking for a way to mentally justify getting a Selmer alto.

My take: if you want one that badly, and you think you can go save up enough money to get one, then you should get one..

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see a point.

The problem is that I don't know what to do with fixing it after sticking the leak light down. I will take it to the same tech. Since I don't have the money to take it anywhere else.

To be honest I am getting sick of the searching. I just want to play a horn that doesn't do this kinda crap to me all the time.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Dog Pants said:
This is becoming a lot like forum herpes. Irritating, contagious to the unwary, and just when you think you've beaten it, back it comes.
Dog Pants, you da man . . . er, dawg.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Thanks Reedsplinter,

I should point out though, that so far, fingers crossed, I've never had .....edited out.

I'm far too French and sophisticated these days, to engage in such childish toilet humour, unlike Goerge Michael, but he's English and what else would on expect?

·
4,147 Posts
Dog Pants said:
Thanks Reedsplinter,

I should point out though, that so far, fingers crossed, I've never had herpes.

Now crabs,...crabs I could write a thesis on! And if I ever catch the rotten little...:D :twisted: :evil:

Dear Mods,

To save you the effort, this post will will self destruct in 10 minutes or so. :)

LOL

It lives on in my quote! (until it gets deleted:twisted: )

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to clearify.
I am willing to spend as much time needed on the Yani 800. I can keep taking it back to the tech, time after time and get these small irrating problems fixed. Their was a problem with the A, which could have caused it. I doubt its my mouthpiece reed combo as he suggested. Leaning more towards the horn possably being the problem.
Do I need to spend more time praticing and less time here? Yes, same goes with looking for new horns. I would like to slow down on both accounts. I don't want a huge collection of horns before I go off to college. I want something that feels right to play.
When I play my 23, I feel alittle weight around my neck, but thats it. It plays great too. My Yani is better than my 23. However it goes back to the very simple fact that I can feel my self playing it. It has alot of resistance almost naturally. The sound is a tad bit harsher then what I would like. But I can work through that.
I have never had a problem with a horn the way I have recently. The resistance is harsh on it.
I didn't feel the Selmer at all. I saw it around my neck, but other than that it was weightless. Very easy to play, the action was faster than that of the Yani. On the yani some of the keys feel really heavy, not something I am used to with any horn. Not even my Tenor.

·
13,027 Posts
Carbs, Are you telling the tech what to do or asking what needs to be done?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I know I wouldn't be happy with my set up if I was changing as much as you have been. I've been playing my 6m/6m combo for around 4 months and I still don't KNOW the horn very well. It'll probably take me at least a year to know it well. Am I going to change? Nope. That would just take more time for me to learn the new instrument. I have a damn fine horn and a damn fine mouthpiece. So stop worrying and hit the shed. Same with you. You have a very nice set up. When something goes wrong, don't just look at it from the horn angle, look at it from what you may doing.

When I got my conn and morgan I thought that I may be leaking somewhere because some high notes seemed a bit airy. After experimenting, I realized I just wasn't taking in enough mouthpiece and some air was escaping. I fixed that and hit the woodshed again.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Carl H. said:
Carbs, Are you telling the tech what to do or asking what needs to be done?
I can tell her a general reigon, where I am having trouble on the horn. I can usually figure out the general area, but I really don't know where to look on the horn for such problems. I know to look at the rods, screws. But anything more than that, identifing problems I really can't do. I can tell her I think I may have a problem in the upper stack, but beyond that no not really.

Jacobied, the problem is that when I use the exact same set up on a totally different horn, and do nothing different. I would also like to point out, that I had never played this horn before, never played a Selmer alto before either. So this was a new expierence for me.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.