Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all!

Like others in this thread, I'm looking to sell an alto Olds Parisian, which is neither stamped as an Ambassador or a Super Artiste (see photos).

It appears to be a pre-1960's horn, simply numbered '23814', and 'made in France'. Is it Pierret? Beaugnier? Noblet?

Most importantly, would this be a student-grade horn, or something nicer? I know Ambassadors are widespread, and seem to fetch $300-400 at absolute most. A nicer-grade Parisian, which is supposedly from this earlier era, can fetch more...$500-800, it seems. Can anyone help me establish a value?

This is the alto I've learned on for the past couple years, and I'm switching to tenor. My instructors and restorers/upkeep technicians say it plays very well with a great tone, but I'm not experienced enough to verify that. It's been serviced regularly. It's case seems to be original, and is in fantastic condition for its age...all latches, springs and handles work well, with no scuffs or rips to the leather, just some nice 'patina'. It sports a newer Bundy mouthpiece.

Thanks very much in advance for your valuable expertise!

Chris

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,381 Posts
I’m not an expert, but most likely it’s made by Pierret. If you can post some pictures that will enable us to identify your horn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photos are coming...I've had a very difficult time posting at all...the photos have been extra problematic. Hopefully, photos will be up soon...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,021 Posts
Pierret made them. Since it works for you, the best thing is just to keep it - you probably will wish you did if you get rid of it for a few bucks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,518 Posts
Pierret.

Parisians vs. Parisian Ambassadors...someone years ago did a pretty good thread on that subject. Basically the Parisians are the older ones, really the same horn albeit the Ambassadors are a bit cheapened in some details and keywork and such. But essentially the same instrument, although I would agree the earlier Parisians are built a bit more substantially, more precision.

But I doubt very greatly a The Parisian alto in good shape can really fetch $800. These simply get ignored by 97% of the sax world, and not many people seem to care about the distinctions between the earlier and later ones.

So if you needed to liquidate, expect no more than $500-550 absolute tops ...and you would likely have to keep a sale ad up for a while to get that. I used to refurb both models, and there was a market for 'em as cheap, reliable players...but the last few I did I took a pasting on...as in like $250 for an Ambassador, $400 for the Parisian (which was pretty good-looking, too)....so I have stopped stocking these.

As other have said, this horn has much more value as a GOOD player with a great sound and good intonation, than it does as a 'market item'. So keeping it as yours, keeping it in the family, or selling it/gifting it to someone in need of a solid horn but unable to really afford much....would probably be other options at least as good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fantastic response....thanks, JayeLID. Yes, I think the $500-800 figure is probably for Super-Artistes. You have established that an earlier Parisian is probably like a later Ambassador, just better assembly/craftsmanship.

I'm looking to liquidate to roll it into a tenor horn.

Still waiting/hoping that some rudimentary photos that I submitted will appear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts