Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem line: eighth notes at swing 168: B2-D2-F#2-A2-G#2.

I cannot get D2 to F#2 to sound cleanly--there is an extra burble as either F or D key lifts before the other going from RH three keys down to only middle key down.

Sometimes subtle, but it muddies up the line.

I believe this is isolated to my fingers (not an instrument issue). The simultaneous-double-bracket-lift is rough to do cleanly.

Any tips, other than practice slow, then speed up? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The typical solution of course is to isolate the note change, start slow, and then gradually speed up moving the fingers together. In this case it would be a tremolo between D and F#. An alternate way to finger that passage would be to play F# xxx|oox. That way you are lifting the first two fingers of the right hand rather than the first and third which is more awkward. The use of this fingering for F# requires that your sax be in perfect regulation for the note to speak clearly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
No way to fix this other than practice. This is why it's important to practice all your major, minor, diminished, and augmented arpeggios with a metronome.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Practice slowly with the Metronome. On the click of the metronome the fingers are moving as fast as possible from one position to the other. Think of a machine. From one position to the other it can not take longer than the click of the metronome otherwise other positions of fingers will react as other notes. For instance from D to F#; if third finger of right hand moves quicker than the first, you will hear E

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,767 Posts
Having been playing in the 'sharp' keys many years and with the D arpeggio being one of my favorites, I have to say I have never even thought of this problem before. Perhaps the OP mainly needs to get more proficient - the sax is easy to play (initially) but as with everything else takes time and perseverance to excel.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Thing is, finger bobbles can pop up even after years of playing.

A few years ago, I suddenly found myself having serious issues with clean execution when playing passages in:

C major!

I remember it because I distinctly remember thinking "what the hell is wrong with you? All of a sudden you can't play cleanly in C major?"

So, back to the woodshed with the metronome set at "slowissimo" until I ironed those wrinkles back out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts