Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have starting looking at modern altos and tenors. I am eyeing this horn right now. I am looking for a backup alto, something big, bright, agressive. This is a 575xxx S A 80 ll, a slightly later one, no? Any opinions would be most helpful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Selmer-Paris-80...ryZ16232QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are the later ones better than earlier SA 80 ll alto's? Does anyone have one of these? Are these consistent? Do they need a lot of additional setting up when you get them? I need a horn thats as loud, bright and can peel paint. Does the silver do anything to the sound? I have only played a couple of SA 80 ll altos through the years, and I remember liking them very much, thinking they were as good or better in free and open blowing and projection than my Mk Vl which is quite decent. I have a late MK Vl thats very good, but am looking for a backup horn. This might be good. Any asistence is much appreciatied.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
You've got $2,500.00 bucks to spend on a back-up?! Geez. Why? Are you a (successful) pro? Are you gigging constantly?

I've got a Serie II alto and I like it a lot. But if I was going to buy an alto that had as specific characteristics "something big, bright, aggressive" and that "peels paint", I would be more inclined to get a Yanagisawa, Cannonball or Yamaha 62; maybe a JK. Actually, I would get one of the lesser expensive Tawaiianese like a Unison. (Well, actually, I wouldn't. Peeling paint wouldn't be my criteria, period.)

But you do know, right, that the mouthpiece in this regard is going to have a great deal to do with your criteria and that's where I'd put more money into. For example, a Used Yanagisawa and a Guardala King or Studio mpc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
The post 500K II's are alleged to be brighter than the earlier ones (and the 500K mark was also about the time the III's showed up). Something about silver Selmers though... and I dig silverplated vintage horns... but to me, they seem stuffy and lacking that usual Selmer mystique. Prior to the boon in VI prices, the silver ones always sold for less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I vote nay on this auction. Sure it comes with extras, but most of us already have a drawer full of mouthpieces. I'm not sure why the seller doesn't sell the mouthpieces one at a time and rake in a little extra money, these extras rarely increase the value of the horn unless it's some holy grail mpc.

You can get a lacquered II for a cheaper price, but I agree with gary if it's a back up you want then I'd go with a yani. If I was wanting to peel paint I'd go with a series III and not a II. I slapped a III neck on my II alto and it sounds about right, but mine is a pre 500K.

Silver horns tarnish and look ugly after awhile if you don't keep after them. I wouldn't want the headaches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts