Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who just called me, has a Selmer Flute with case, stamped coin silver made in U.S.A., serial number (or model#?) is 06798. She received this from an older Gentleman's estate, Although nobody is sure, it was mentioned the gentleman had it during the war (world war 2), but this seems speculation. Anybody have an idea of what the possible age/value may be based on the info. provided? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have not seen the piece as of yet, but plan to do so Sunday. Thanks in advance,
Franz:) :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,135 Posts
Most Selmer flutes made before the war were sterling. If it says "coin silver" on it, it may be a Signet which is a lower line flute and not all that good. Even the higher line Selmer coin flutes were not that good. The best ones were the pre-war all sterling models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you or your help, I will have to check on pricing, as I have not a clue. The lady that owns it wants me to sell it for her, but wants to find out what the piece may be worth before doing so. I will see if I can get it on Sunday, and will try to attach pictures if I get it. Thanks again

·
Registered
15 Posts
I realize this response is five years too late, but may be of interest to some. Selmer did. in fact, make some very fine coin silver flutes in the 1930's and early 1940's. Among those of special interest are its Model 82 and Model 83. The Model 82 was a "Louis Lot copy" with soldered tone holes, inline-G French (open hole), pointed arm keys beautifully assembled and finished to the highest commercial standards of the day -- every bit as nice as a Haynes or Powell of the era. The Model 83 is even more remarkable. It was a full-blown Louis Lot Replica, advertised as replicating a genuine Louis Lot owned by Charles Selmer to within .0001 inch -- hand made to custom order.

Early Selmer flutes have suffered from an unfairly "less than sterling" reputation due to the manufacturer's later concentration on its lines of "band" or student instruments. Incidentally, Armstrong has suffered the same fate. Besides my superb Selmer Model 82, I own an original Armstrong Heritage, open hole, pointed key arm flute from the Jack Moore/Bickford Brannen/Tom Green era. It is fitted with an upgraded Armstrong P4 cut headjoint (I admit, the stock headjoint sucked) and I believe it would perform respectfully against pretty much anything made today. Its designer, Emerson DeFord, reportedly once declared that there was not a better flute made in America. Admittedly, his view was prejudiced by parenthood, but he may have been right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
crg...

My wife has an older Selmer Flute that her mother got while in HS and her mother is now 85 years old so I'm guessing that she got it around the WW II timeframe. She said that it was second hand when it came to her. The serial number is 44XX.

There is no model number on it anywhere.

Where did you find your information on the models that you have referenced ? Model 82 & 83 ?

I have inquired about Selmer Flutes a couple of times but have never really come up with any definative information on my wife's. She has played it since she was in HS and she likes it very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts