Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a soprano s-6. Someone offered me a yani s-6 but from the pictures it doesnt say anywhere on the sax that it is the s-6 model. How to look? And what to look for?

Anyone got an s-6 they can share some pictures?

Thanks in advance

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
It looks just like a mark vi soprano...same key setup.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raphyel said:
It looks just like a mark vi soprano...same key setup.
What does mark 6 soprano look like ?? Sorry I am blind with soprano, this will be my first time buying a soprano.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,486 Posts
isn't the S-6 the Elimona?
mine has the pearl on the F# trill key and also the LH palm F is on the same axis as D and E

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think S-6 period's serial isn't like the Selmer ones in sequences...using 2 consecutive numbers showing the year of production

last time I saw a busking guy with a S-6, seems made in 1959~~~ I offered him a good price, but he rather keep it. but anyway there shouldnt be a S6 made in 1959...but my eyes naturally ignore other digits...

anyway thats a S-6

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Here's a useful link on serial numbers, etc: http://www.woodwindforum.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.4

The engraving isn't that useful a guide because probably more S-6s are stencils by Vito, Artist, etc than actual branded Yanagisawas: indeed the stencils don't usually have the manufacturer's name anywhere on the horn. Though the serial numbers vary according to the marque, there's usually a 2 digit year code 2 or 3 digits in.

They're well built machines, and I don't think there are any specific issues except that the palm keys share the unpopular ergos of the Mk VI. But if that's not a problem for Coltrane, Marsalis, Coffin etc - not to mention me - then I consider them one of the best buys. $650 seems about the going rate, or perhaps a bit more for a branded "Yani" since people pay for image, not good music.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,407 Posts
Not all S6 have a neckstrap ring. If you play soprano with a neckstrap, you might want to be sure the horn you choose has one. I've owned a few S6 horns and they all sounded great.

The placement of the LH "palm" keys varied slightly between the older and later S6 models - ergonomics improving with the later model. I don't have a year or serial number so I know that comment isn't much help, but it's an observation I felt worth mentioning. I only noticed it because I was so familiar with the keywork and played the two horns side by side. Anyone new to the S6/Mark VI key arrangement may not notice the subtlety. It has to do with the location of the cluster. I think it was the later horns had the LH cluster rotated on the horn further to the left - away from the upper stack. I recollect the closer arrangement felt a bit crowded, but I was used to the later one already.

Whether it's a Vito made by Yani or a Martin made by Yani or a Yani made by Yani - the S6 are fantastic. I've never played a Mark VI soprano, but I've heard that Yani did a better job of making a Mark VI soprano than Selmer ever did.

I played my Vito/Yani S6 against Keilwerths and even new Yanis including a bronze model - and the S6 won all around against the JK and had more character in the tone than the modern Yanis.

Get one. Love it. Never let it go.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i have a vito s-6 soprano I'm in minneapolis minnesota and don't play it
I would trade for vintage altos no junk please or perhaps sell it it's a nice horn but i'm just an alto player

1 - 11 of 11 Posts