Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often heard some smooth jazz musician use this lick at the end of their solo, kenny G for example uses this lick extensively and almost in every part of his solo. Dave koz also uses this lick, it sounds quite common. It sounds like an enhanced blues scale. I cant describe it more detail but I hope someone can tell me what are the notes or the formula. Its like scaling up down and up.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
if you can name a song that it is used in and when in the song it happens .--- I will tell you how to do it --- I'm not sure what your talking about .
 

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
The lick your talking about is based off the hexadonial blues scale. It was first played in India by the famous blues player Rahab Swalia. To really learn this lick you must empty yourself of consciousness first. You must empty your very mind and soul. Once you attain this state of nothingness then and only then can you think about what the lick might be. the paradox occurs when you think about what the lick could or should be. In essence you are no longer nothing but something and as long as you are something you cannot be nothing and hence you cannot even approach the lick of which you seek. Pursue this nothingness. It might take years or decades to achieve it but one day you will be sitting on a beach somewhere meditating and finally after years of focused meditation you will realize that you no longer care about this lick or even care about caring about the lick. AT that moment you will find that the lick will come to you. It will shine on your very essence and you will become one with it. the multitudes around the globe will bow down and praise you not for the lick that you are playing but for the lick that you are. Until that day I will be waiting for mjs10 to no longer seek but to be. you my friend are on the right path. i hope I have helped you in your quest. Go forth.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nefertiti said:
The lick your talking about is based off the hexadonial blues scale. It was first played in India by the famous blues player Rahab Swalia. To really learn this lick you must empty yourself of consciousness first. You must empty your very mind and soul. Once you attain this state of nothingness then and only then can you think about what the lick might be. the paradox occurs when you think about what the lick could or should be. In essence you are no longer nothing but something and as long as you are something you cannot be nothing and hence you cannot even approach the lick of which you seek. Pursue this nothingness. It might take years or decades to achieve it but one day you will be sitting on a beach somewhere meditating and finally after years of focused meditation you will realize that you no longer care about this lick or even care about caring about the lick. AT that moment you will find that the lick will come to you. It will shine on your very essence and you will become one with it. the multitudes around the globe will bow down and praise you not for the lick that you are playing but for the lick that you are. Until that day I will be waiting for mjs10 to no longer seek but to be. you my friend are on the right path. i hope I have helped you in your quest. Go forth.
Is this a joke??

I am asking a serious question
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
I heard Bird use this lick at the end of his solos. What is it?

I heard Trane use this lick at eh end of his solos. What is it?

I heard Beethoven use this chord progression in one of his pieces. What is it?



Get the idea?;)
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Nefertiti said:
The lick your talking about is based off the hexadonial blues scale. It was first played in India by the famous blues player Rahab Swalia. To really learn this lick you must empty yourself of consciousness first. You must empty your very mind and soul. Once you attain this state of nothingness then and only then can you think about what the lick might be. the paradox occurs when you think about what the lick could or should be. In essence you are no longer nothing but something and as long as you are something you cannot be nothing and hence you cannot even approach the lick of which you seek. Pursue this nothingness. It might take years or decades to achieve it but one day you will be sitting on a beach somewhere meditating and finally after years of focused meditation you will realize that you no longer care about this lick or even care about caring about the lick. AT that moment you will find that the lick will come to you. It will shine on your very essence and you will become one with it. the multitudes around the globe will bow down and praise you not for the lick that you are playing but for the lick that you are. Until that day I will be waiting for mjs10 to no longer seek but to be. you my friend are on the right path. i hope I have helped you in your quest. Go forth.
The Nefferswami has grokked the essence. I studied in a Nepalese monastery for 40 years to learn the lick, but will tell you the secret in a moment. Play it this way:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,985 Posts
In other words throw us a bone Mjs10, we need the info.

Your description is about as helpful as describing a suspect as " A guy who was wearing a shirt". :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jmm1713 said:
if you can name a song that it is used in and when in the song it happens .--- I will tell you how to do it --- I'm not sure what your talking about .
Please listen to Dave Koz's You make me smile, its almost at the end of the solo. Its his favourite, he always does that. And repeat it for few times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92Xnq90LHM&mode=related&search=

At this clip hes doing it again on his solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjtIZNBzwRc&mode=related&search=

He's such an idol. I love his music, apart of him being gay hehehe


There they are I am so sorry guys, I was blind and couldnt describe it much better. If you listen to these 2 samples you should be able to get the idea.


Also it can be found on his "leave the light on" but i cant find the music clip. If you have the recording, you might wanna have a listen.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
Can you give a time in the solo, in minutes:seconds where the lick occurs? I can't listen to the whole thing.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
Please tell me it's not a pentatonic...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hakukani said:
Can you give a time in the solo, in minutes:seconds where the lick occurs? I can't listen to the whole thing.
Please listen to 2:00-2:21 on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjtIZNBzwRc&mode=related&search=

At the end of his solo. Also on 3:15-4:30, he repeats it few times while playing solo with the bassist.
Also 4:50-5:18 he do it again almost at the end, sounds like blues lick.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hakukani said:
Please tell me it's not a pentatonic...
Pentatonic scale is 1 2 3 5 6 1 thats all I know, how do you put them together for impro?

Can you give me example on how pentatonic scale is used?

I always do this on my impro opening 5 6 1 2 3... But I am bored doing that any other idea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
He is playing two different pentatonic scales, D and F pentatonics. Or for Bb saxophone like soprano it will be first E pentatonic D-E-G-B-A-G-E-B-E-D or or if you want the degrees of the scale: 7-1-b3-5-4-b3-1-5-1-7, then he modulates to a G pentatonic scale, something like Bb-G-F-D-C-Bb-G-Bb-D-G-F or b3-1-7-5-4-b3-1-b3-5-1-7. Good luck.


What kind of soprano is he using? It looks like a very old one, anyway.

Nice stage show... particularly the saxophone - bass interaction towards the end :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jmm1713 said:
1914 conn
To tell you the truth I dont really like the sound of his soprano, its too thin. But because he can play it in such a way, it becomes marvelous all together. I like his alto better.

Funny is that you make me smile is one of my fav song =)
 

·
Moderator
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
Joined
·
28,943 Posts
This is the one from the end of Songbird (approx)



EDIT:

After all the fairly free bluesy stuff I really like the way it goes into a more rhythmic swing groove in the penultimate bar.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
6,862 Posts
Nefertiti said:
The lick your talking about is based off the hexadonial blues scale. It was first played in India by the famous blues player Rahab Swalia. To really learn this lick you must empty yourself of consciousness first. You must empty your very mind and soul. Once you attain this state of nothingness then and only then can you think about what the lick might be. the paradox occurs when you think about what the lick could or should be. In essence you are no longer nothing but something and as long as you are something you cannot be nothing and hence you cannot even approach the lick of which you seek. Pursue this nothingness. It might take years or decades to achieve it but one day you will be sitting on a beach somewhere meditating and finally after years of focused meditation you will realize that you no longer care about this lick or even care about caring about the lick. AT that moment you will find that the lick will come to you. It will shine on your very essence and you will become one with it. the multitudes around the globe will bow down and praise you not for the lick that you are playing but for the lick that you are. Until that day I will be waiting for mjs10 to no longer seek but to be. you my friend are on the right path. i hope I have helped you in your quest. Go forth.
This is funny. The only thing Steve forgot to mention is that there used to be a Youtube clip of Sigurd Rascher playing this lick entirely in altissimo, but it's gone.

He could have added, too, that this lick sounds better when you have this crucial sax accessory:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mens-Cabaret-Sta...ryZ38112QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top