Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to go to a two hour practice tonight. Previously (two days ago), I removed my braces and they were replaced with pretty new retainers.

I have a question (for those with retainer experience) on behalf of I want to retain my new smile. Would it be better to practice with or without the retainers on? My hypothesis is that if my teeth bent any with the retainer, it would move also and it wouldn't back into place. But if my teeth moved any during practice without the retainer on, the retainer would move it back to it's previous position. Should I limit my practice? (my orthodontist didn't even know!)

If any of you practiced when you had a retainer could you tell me and reassure me you kept your new smile also?

What should I do? :?

Thanks in advance to all of you, I've been here for a long time now and haven't needed your help more than now...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Bluesaxgirl,

I wore braces then a retainer from 7th to 9th grade, many, many, years ago. I practiced without wearing the retainer, but made sure to put it back in right after practice. I didn't experience any drifting of the teeth during that time. Only after I stopped wearing the retainer did some drifting occur but it wasn't much.

Good luck
RegSopAlto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
A retainer is going to feel funky when your playing as the top plate is going take up space in your mouth. If you can play with them than do so, but if it messes with your playing I'd remove it and pop it back in after your finished.

Your teeth will move gradually through life no matter what. You'd have to wear the retainer forever to keep that from happening.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just recently got my braces off and I've been practicing with the retainer in. I haven't felt any difference in my playing with it in and I don't have any problems, but if it's uncomfortable for you, it's probably fine to take it out when you practice and put it back in afterwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts