Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
This is the version just before the short shank. Not certain when it started, possibly near the end of the BA, or at the start of the SBA, but for certain they were the mouthpiece that came with certain versions of the SBA.

Similar to the short shank soloists to look at externally, but inside, the throat is round, unlike the U shape soloists.

For me they are a little darker than the soloists, with a little less zing. Lovely singing quality to them.

I have an original E for tenor and a couple for alto.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have a 60's Soloist-Style soprano E, which has the E on the back, not the table -
I'm not certain, but I dont think these "soloist style". Ie no "soloist" written on the table were as early as the 60s.

I think they were later. Certainly they were the Selmer mouthpiece in the 70s, right up until the change to the S80 mouthpiece was introduced. In surprise, surprise.... 1980. !!

I have a couple of these non soloist versions in my box of goodies. For me they are a different vibe than the short shank and long shank soloists.

certainly on alto and tenor, they are less desirable/valuable than proper soloists.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts