Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I`m writing because I have a Yamaha YTS-52 that I bought about 7 years ago, used, and I think it is time to change it. I would need your help figuring out which sax is best for me.

First, let me put you in context. I`m from Argentina, I play in a rock band (we also have some songs that are reggae, funk, and other styles) and I do not consider myself a great sax player, but I can defend myself. That being said, these are my options:

First, here I can get a used Yamaha YTS-62 for AR$ 25000 (to put in perspective, average income in Argentina is AR$5000). On the other hand I do have the possibility of getting a Sax from USA at a very good price.

I can get a used YTS-62III at AR$19197

I can get a new YTS-62III at AR$21147

And a new YTS-82ZII at AR$29500

Now, if you compare the 62 that I can get in Argentina with the 82 I can get in USA, it seems that I should get the 82, but if you consider that a used 62 is AR$19000 in usa, that is where I start having doubts.

So my question is: Do you think I should go for the 82? (Note that I can get AR$20000 with a bit of effort, but either 25000 or 29000 is a lot for
me, though I would go for it if necessary) Is the effort justified considering the style I play, and the fact that I`m not a great sax player?
I hope you can help me.

Thanks!

EDIT: Let me clarify one thing. There are no new 62s nor 82s in Argentina, the prices i put there are from usa, and they include shipping and customs (I have a friend who lives in the states, and can bring me the sax). The easiest comparison is that In Argentina I can get a used 62 for AR$25000 (U$D 3571) and in USA I can get a new 82 for AR$29500 (U$D4214). The problem is that those extra U$D700 are a lot for me, and maybe it is not worth it for an intermediate sax player in a rock band.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You really should not buy a horn blindly without checking it out before. You can have luck or not and find with each model of these a decent horn but also a bad horn. You never will know what you will get if you don't check it out in advance. Also saxophones of the same model never always play, sounds and feel exactly the same. It always is a better choice to play a horn before you buy it. Any advice done via internet will not really help you because nobody knows with which kind of horn you would feel good with regarding anatomy and sound. Also it is never good to generalize about a certain model because ther always is a inconsitency between horns of the same model, sometimes it is very small sometimes it is very big.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what you mean, the thing is that, for example, it is close to imposible to find the YTS-82 in Argentina, let alone the fact that it would be around AR$40000. So seeing the difference in price, and avalability, I thought it might be worth the try getting it in USA. But from what you are saying, I understand your advice would be that I should go with the best I can find amongst what I can try first. Thanks for your reply!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
I actually sorta disagree with that advice when it comes to contemporary Yamahas. I think if a buyer tries a few close to them, then buys the same model from elsewhere without trying it first, they are gonna be quite satisfied with the horn they get. I think the consistency of Yamaha is such that the 'risk' factor is low to negligible.

(First I wanted to make sure you were talking Argentina as opposed to Arkansas...which should be its own separate country someday soon....
Then I saw your surname....)

Having sold to many Latin American customers....people here need to understand that.....maaaaaan, there is a serious DEARTH of good horns south of the Rio Grande. As such, prices on GOOD saxes are usually 50%-DOUBLE what they are in usa.
So, when you compare the price which you can buy one for in the usa.... with the prices down there the usa price will always look much better.

But that matters little, because....

...if you are buying used in the usa, from just a regular ol' player who is privately selling their horn (i.e. eBay or here on the Forum, for example).....be sure to add in an exhorbitant shipping price (or join a reshipper biz). Because sending a well-packed Tenor + case to South America ain't gonna cost no $150.
Try more like $400-500. Check it for yourself...all shipper websites have calculators. A reshipper can do it for significantly less, but as I say there's a membership fee, usually.

...then add your customs fees and taxes, which I believe tacks on a few hundred dollars more....

If you buy from a dealer who has a shipping dept, then shipping may be only around $200...but don't forget those customs fees !

So...... 1 Argentine Peso = 18 cents usa.

Thus your prices are:

~ used 62 for $3400usd

~ new 62 for $3800usd

~ new 82Z for $5300usd

In the u.s., a new 82Z is around $4500...so the $5300 pricetag ain't so bad for AR (only around 20% more)

A new 62 model is around $2800-3100...so again, the new one in AR...is not exhorbitant, really (about 25% more expensive than in the u.s.).

The used 62 price in AR is bad. You could buy a nice used one, guaranteed to play, from a u.s. seller for around $1700-2300...and even with a wacky ship fee of $500 and customs taxes added on to that...it would still be cheaper than the used one you have there in AR.

So the new horns you have mentioned are not bad buys. They are not great buys, but by no means are they bad ones. I don't think you end up saving much by buying a new horn long-distance. They are, more or less, market value prices for a new Yamaha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JayePDX, thanks for your reply, let me clarify one thing though. There are no new 62s nor 82s in Argentina, the prices i put there are from usa, and they include shipping and customs (I have a friend who lives in the states, and can bring me the sax). The easiest comparison is that In Argentina I can get a used 62 for AR$25000 (U$D 3571) and in USA I can get a new 82 for AR$29500 (U$D4214). The problem is that those extra U$D700 are a lot for me, and maybe it is not worth it for an intermediate sax player in a rock band.

·
19,000 Posts
Hola.

Now I am confused.

AR 29,500 = $4200usd ? That isn't what the currency calculator is showing (?) It shows around $5300....

If your friend is flying it down, you would not be paying ANY customs at all, correct ? He claims the horn belongs to him.....no ?

Anywhoooo....if all of those new horn prices are for horns in the u.s.a., my thoughts still hold:

.... the used 62 in AR is still not a good deal. You could get one from u.s. brought to you by your friend for at least $300 less.

The new ones are still a decent deal, especially if you have included customs taxes in those figures.....

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,683 Posts
Is Yamaha the only option you have?? There are so many great vintage horns you can get for a much better price than any of those cited above for Yamaha horns. But that's here in the U.S. Probably not in Argentina. I feel for you....

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
It seems to me that you are trying to decide if it's worth the extra money to go with the 82Z. The 62 and 82 are both good horns. I play in a rock band and use an 82Z but a 62 would have been just as good for that music. I was pretty much decided on a 62 until the 82ZUL popped up at a good price. Basically, if money is an issue I think you can't go wrong with the 62.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JayePDX, my calculations are different because there is a tax of 20% of the value of your purchase that you need to pay, so while any website will tell you that it is around AR$5.5= U$D1 you actually end up paying AR$7 = U$D1.
That being said, yes, it seems that the 62 here is way to expensive, having the posibility of bringing one from USA. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is Yamaha the only option you have?? There are so many great vintage horns you can get for a much better price than any of those cited above for Yamaha horns. But that's here in the U.S. Probably not in Argentina. I feel for you....
it is not the only option, the thing is that yamaha is more known here, and I thought it was more suitable or rock, leaving vintage sax for darker, softer styles like jazz... I say this without much knowledge though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems to me that you are trying to decide if it's worth the extra money to go with the 82Z. The 62 and 82 are both good horns. I play in a rock band and use an 82Z but a 62 would have been just as good for that music. I was pretty much decided on a 62 until the 82ZUL popped up at a good price. Basically, if money is an issue I think you can't go wrong with the 62.
Thanks BobD, that is my main question and, I`m inclined to agree with you, the 82 sound like a great deal compared to the 62 in argentina, but I think I will get the 62 from USA.

·
19,000 Posts
.... But that's here in the U.S. Probably not in Argentina. I feel for you....
From dealing with folks in S. America, vintage horns are very few and far between...and I think Juan has locked up all the Bueschers on the continent.... :|

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,683 Posts
it is not the only option, the thing is that yamaha is more known here, and I thought it was more suitable or rock, leaving vintage sax for darker, softer styles like jazz...
Nothing could be further from the truth! Those vintage American horns will blow a Yamaha out of the water in terms of power. However, horns are NOT locked into any particular style of playing. The mpc is far more important in that respect.

But yeah, if Juan has all the Bueschers locked up down there, you're out of luck. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts