Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a Gemeinhardt Flute W/ Hard Case at an estate sale (Plus a few other beauties)... But this one says only...
GEMEINHARDT
ELKHART IND.
A88 (5, 6 or 8)...
I can't really tell the last. But A88 are very clear.
View attachment 219968 View attachment 219970

No other markings anywhere. I can't find anything like it online. Do you know what model this is? Year? Why is the A so big? Anything?
Thanks

*It is stamped Solid Silver

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,863 Posts
Bruce Bailey will know my guess is that that A 886 may have something to do with the tuning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I'm working on that... Ok, sounds stupid but I'm having a hard time taking pics of them, they're just soo shiny... Lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know but I'm in Flute & Piccolo section... I've looked through the site & you guys seem to know more than anyone else online... JS

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,863 Posts
It’s indeed an alto flute

If you care to scroll down the page that you get after you incredibly invaluable link already given to you before by Mr. PigSquealer ^

you will see that alto flutes made between 1966 to 1970 have a A and then 3 digits ending with 700 highest number , then the next starts at A700 and ends at A 1342 ( 1970-75).

So you have an alto flute made in 1971+/-.

I think that possibly only the headjoint would be solid silver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s indeed an alto flute

If you care to scroll down the page that you get after you incredibly invaluable link already given to you before by Mr. PigSquealer ^

you will see that alto flutes made between 1966 to 1970 have a A and then 3 digits ending with 700 highest number , then the next starts at A700 and ends at A 1342 ( 1970-75).

So you have an alto flute made in 1971+/-.

I think that possibly only the headjoint would be solid silver.
Thank You... I was soo confused cause I searched that site & couldn't find A800 anywhere. I'm guessing all the Altos have an A in front of the number then. The M2S was an easy find.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, just to confirm what has been stated - alto flute with solid silver head, plated body. I have A98x purchased new in 1973 by me. Still plays great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts