Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"3 buescher tenor saxophones, 2 from the early 50's, 1 from the 60's" and this picture are the only information I have. Can anyone tell what they are from the pictures??

p.s. I have been referred to, and reading this forum a billion times in the last few months via Google after trying to learn to play the sax again after not having touched one since high school, so figured i'd register on the forums. Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 79661

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,135 Posts
Yes, they are as described all three Bueschers, to precisely identify them look through the reference at saxpics, you can do it yourself it is not difficult just time consuming.

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&c=1790

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Being that i'm fairly new to the sax world and haven't a clue about Bueschers, I was hoping there were some identifiable features I wouldn't even think to notice that would scream a particular model to someone who is experienced. I will start looking at the saxpics.com thanks for that link!

If these all have good pads and sounds decent, any idea how much they would be worth?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing throwing me off is the key guards. The two horns on the right I can't seem to find anything that matches in that time frame.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably Aristocrat model IV at least the middle one.
I think that middle one, judging by the engraving and key guard, looks like a Silvertone. I am lost on the others though and hopefully someone can confirm?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,834 Posts
The first horn on the left looks like an Elkhart, judging by what little I can make out of the engraving. I agree that the key guards on the other two are unusual, particularly the one on the far right, but all three of these horns are Bueschers and from what I can see they look like they're essentially the same horn, whatever is engraved on the bell.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,122 Posts
They all have the same neck, but otherwise the horn on the left looks different. None of them look like an Aristocrat from the "prime run" '30s through early '50s. Bottom line, I don't know for sure what they are. The necks look 'wrong' for any of the real Bueschers (I could be wrong though).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,834 Posts
#1 looks like a 30A. Keyguards on #2 and #3 might indicate stencils, like someone mentioned (Silvertone).
They all have the same neck, but otherwise the horn on the left looks different. None of them look like an Aristocrat from the "prime run" '30s through early '50s. Bottom line, I don't know for sure what they are. The necks look 'wrong' for any of the real Bueschers (I could be wrong though).
If that's an Elkhart horn on the left, then the two on the right may be stencils of that one. JL's right in that they don't appear to be stencils of any of the pro-level Buescher horns,though the bell angles are reminiscent of the Big-B (156) Aristocrats. And yes those necks are odd, but maybe that's how the Elkharts were rigged. Overall they look to me like they're Buescher-made horns. Maybe Maddemna will drop in, I think he knows a thing or two about the Elkharts & etc.

·
23,122 Posts
JL's right in that they don't appear to be stencils of any of the pro-level Buescher horns,though the bell angles are reminiscent of the Big-B (156) Aristocrats. .
You're giving me a bit too much credit. I wouldn't know what the stencils are based on; I just don't think they are actual Aristocrats from the '30s through '50s period. Makes sense that they are some sort of stencils, though. And yes, the bell shapes are similar to the 156 Aristocrats.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Those are all Elkhart Band Instrument Co horns, even if the 60's one or more says Buescher Aristocrat on it. 30A and 31A. Buescher made, but different from the main-line instruments, until they weren't in the early mid-60's when they became the Buescher Aristocrat (or a stencil name). The neck is a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are all Elkhart Band Instrument Co horns, even if the 60's one or more says Buescher Aristocrat on it. 30A and 31A. Buescher made, but different from the main-line instruments, until they weren't in the early mid-60's when they became the Buescher Aristocrat (or a stencil name). The neck is a dead giveaway.
Thank you guys. All of you! This is an amazing forum. Basically, confirming my suspicions that they are all beginner/mid grade horns at best. The guy is asking 600-800 for them (each). I may still entertain the idea of going by and playing them, but what would you say max dollar value is? I am looking for a good horn under 1000$, but under 800$ is the ideal mark :)

Anyway, thanks again guys. I look forward to future conversations!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Thank you guys. All of you! This is an amazing forum. Basically, confirming my suspicions that they are all beginner/mid grade horns at best. The guy is asking 600-800 for them (each). I may still entertain the idea of going by and playing them, but what would you say max dollar value is? I am looking for a good horn under 1000$, but under 800$ is the ideal mark :)

Anyway, thanks again guys. I look forward to future conversations!
If Maddenma is correct (and he usually is), #1 is probably marked "Elkhart By Buescher" from the 1950's and therefore not a stencil, but a "second line" horn, with higher expectations. The difference in being worth $100 or $800 is all about condition on these, including a recent repad, 95% lacquer, original case, etc.

·
23,122 Posts
The difference in being worth $100 or $800 is all about condition on these, including a recent repad, 95% lacquer, original case, etc.
+1. I'd say if you don't want to spend more than $800, one of these could be a good choice, IF and ONLY IF, it is in top playing condition. Otherwise, you'll have to sink more money (possibly up to several hundred dollars) into it.

I wouldn't touch any of those if you had to spend more than $800, including work on it. Far better to save a bit more and get a real Buescher.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If Maddenma is correct (and he usually is), #1 is probably marked "Elkhart By Buescher" from the 1950's and therefore not a stencil, but a "second line" horn, with higher expectations. The difference in being worth $100 or $800 is all about condition on these, including a recent repad, 95% lacquer, original case, etc.
+1. I'd say if you don't want to spend more than $800, one of these could be a good choice, IF and ONLY IF, it is in top playing condition. Otherwise, you'll have to sink more money (possibly up to several hundred dollars) into it.

I wouldn't touch any of those if you had to spend more than $800, including work on it. Far better to save a bit more and get a real Buescher.
Thanks guys. I think the only horn i'm going to be interested in is the first one. I was finally able to speak to the guy over the phone. He confirmed the Elkhart 30a. He DID say they all just had a repad. I didn't think to ask about the cases.

I'm going to meet up with him next weekend to try them out. I really appreciate you all helping me here. I think if it plays well and everything is in good order, I feel comfortable dropping ~800 on that first horn :)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
In this case, they're all worth about the same. Not "top of the line", but not "beginner" horns either. Good solid instruments with a good sound and intonation. All three of these are essentially the same instrument design, just spread out in time. On these, the fact that it has something other than Elkhart by Buescher written on it isn't going to affect the price much if they're all recently overhauled. Nearly all Buescher stencil instruments were actually EBIC horns after WWII.

Near as I can tell they didn't change much in design, features, or quality, even after they started calling them Buescher Aristocrats (or Bundy's) until well into the 60's. Decent enough horns. If you get a chance to play them, I'd pick the one that you feel plays the best for you. Any of them are certainly good enough to get your chops back and continue to use as a hobbyist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts