Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired this King Tenor sax from a gentleman who said it was "very old". Most of the wording on front of the Sax is very worn. I do see that it is a King and that HN White is below that. A small number below that is unreadable. On the back of the Sax is a very clear Pat Pending 77679. Is the 77679 the serial number or the patent number? If it is the serial, I saw on a chart that it is from the 20's. I am a guitar player, but have wanted to learn some sax, so I really would just like to know what model I have.
The case looks very old too, so maybe it's original?
Any thoughts on what this could be, along with value would be greatly appreciated.
I was also wondering what the price range is for a complete restoration on something like this.
Thanks for taking the time to look,
Todd
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/tchambeau/?action=view&current=IMG_0832.jpg
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/tchambeau/?action=view&current=IMG_0831.jpg
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/tchambeau/?action=view&current=IMG_0830.jpg
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/tchambeau/?action=view&current=IMG_0829.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I am not sure if my pics weren't good enough, but does someone at least know if that is the serial number on the bottom back of the horn "Pat Pending 77676" ?
Maybe if I knew that I can narrow it down to what type of horn this is. Thanks for looking.
Todd

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
By the looks it seems to be an old King from the 20's, Tenor or maybe a C-melody. The number engraved is probably the serial number.
You can find more information at: http://www.hnwhite.com/serial number sax.htm
If you measure the body of the sax without the neck from the bottom curve to the top we can tell you if it is a Tenor or a C-melody.

·
Registered
2 Posts
By the looks it seems to be an old King from the 20's, Tenor or maybe a C-melody. The number engraved is probably the serial number.
You can find more information at: http://www.hnwhite.com/serial number sax.htm
If you measure the body of the sax without the neck from the bottom curve to the top we can tell you if it is a Tenor or a C-melody.
What would be those measurements?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looks like an old Alto with a c melody or tenor neck .... it looks weird .... ? The bottom cups are too close together for a C melody (Alto Maybe)

77679 is the serial number not a date ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Body without neck should be about 22" for an alto, 24-26" for a C Melody and 28+" for a tenor.
Remember too that this thread is over a year old.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
232 Posts
I think I have one of these. 1924 I guess? Its been some time since origonal post....what have you learned about it since?
How does it play? Is it indeed a tenor sax? Is that silver plate over brass?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
The original poster posted his Q almost 3 years ago and never replied to anyone's comments, on his own thread. The likelihood of an answer here is pretty small ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
The original poster posted his Q almost 3 years ago and never replied to anyone's comments, on his own thread. The likelihood of an answer here is pretty small ;)
It seems many people join SOTW just to ask how much their sax is worth (inherited from grandma, found in the attic, bought at an estate sale, etc). They post once or twice and never return. Meanwhile, we fill page after page with information, speculation and history.

·
232 Posts
Sorry, I do ask a few questions..Thank you for responding. The measurement I get is 27 in , the neck looks the same as the tenor, .but my serial 3407X could be c melody...there is no stamp "c melody " though . I just cant tell .My horn is in need of re pad ,so its not sounding so good yet but somebody played this, it has the silver finish all worn off one side . The horn looks like it was really played for years. All wear marks are right where you would expect and the rest of the horn is just tarnished w age. Either way Im going to at least re pad it if my repair man thinks its a go.It looks so worn but also like some fun.
Im still trying to get a photo up on this site. Im not technically challenged but ....I still have to put up photo of my little "New Era" martin stencil that Perry Ritter brought back to life.I will try again now.

·
232 Posts

·
232 Posts
How can you tell? I looked at the Kings Tenor and C melody on the HN White .com catalogue ad page. Is it the scale of the horn?

Aaron Goldfarb - "There's a subtle difference between the man that lives like each day could be his last and the man who lives like there's no tomorrow."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
Yup, it's all about proportion.

C-Mels look like stretched Altos.....or skinny Tenors. And sadly, that was the Achilles Heel of their design. Their proportions of width/bore to length are not like that of an Alto or Tenor. If they had been conceived and designed with proportional dimensions of body:length like an Alto or Tenor, they would probably be more popular these days.

An experienced eye can spot the difference immediately....you have there a C-Melody.

·
232 Posts
Yup, it's all about proportion.

C-Mels look like stretched Altos.....or skinny Tenors. And sadly, that was the Achilles Heel of their design. Their proportions of width/bore to length are not like that of an Alto or Tenor. If they had been conceived and designed with proportional dimensions of body:length like an Alto or Tenor, they would probably be more popular these days.

An experienced eye can spot the difference immediately....you have there a C-Melody.[/

So..they are a bit smaller than a full tenor sax, is that right? How do they sound, not like an alto but not like a tenor? Do they handle the same range of notes as a tenor ? I'm just curious. I can't wait t try it out. I heard they were made really for beginners so players wouldn't have to transpose. In time, they fell out of popularity. What is your take on the sound difference between the c melody and the true tenor?

"It is the theory that describes what we can observe." Albert Einstein

1 - 20 of 27 Posts