Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, This looked like a great place to start. I hope it's ok that not only am I new but I'm throwing myself on your mercy to ask a question right off.

I have googled for a few days, but am not sure what to put in other than "really shiny no-name sax 2899 silver" etc, etc, in trying to identify this sax.

To be clear, I don't care if it's good, great, or awful, but I always enjoy knowing who made my instruments. I played tenor for years in school and recently picked up this Alto to start playing again. It's super shiny, so I'm sure it's not silver or silver plated (at least from what I've read) and I can't seem to find any name, only "2899" near the top of the neck. Can't find a sax brand on google, so far, with that number.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and I will defer to the obvious knowledge and expertise you all have!

I tried to get as many helpful photos as I could.
The body:

The simple design:

Pads look ok (and it plays just fine other than my 15 years being away from it!) :)

Neck Piece

And this is the only marking I saw at all! Sorry for the blur.

I hope this helps, like I said, I'm sure it's cheap and that is ok! I just wanted to get back into playing and I love to know what the name of my instruments are!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! If I need to take any more photos, I'll be glad to!
-Melody

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
It's most likely a Chinese or Taiwanese sax. I suspect Chinese. Either way, the name will not mean much. Most Taiwanese saxes are all most in one area where different maker produce different parts for a distributor in the West. Chinese saxes are made any number of places in China and made to the spec from the Western distributor or Sold under one of the mostly unregulated names common to Chinese saxes no matter who actually made it.

Someone may chime in with one that looks the same, but the brand name could vary greatly. What's really important is how it plays. Some Asian imports play very well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It's probably Taiwanese - there weren't that many Chinese horns around 15 years ago, and it looks very similar to an Earlham.

Your best bet would be to have it properly serviced - and to make sure you have a decent mouthpiece. If you're using the piece that came with the horn, you will improve the response of the instrument greatly by replacing the mouthpiece.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/mouthpieces.htm

Regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh wow, thanks!
I guess that makes sense that the name (if made in pieces) probably won't matter.

Thanks for the tip on the mouthpiece! I will check some out.
I had been recommended a Selmer S80 C, but was looking for something a little cheaper just to start out with (since I paid less for the sax than the piece appears to cost!) :)

I will check out your link, Stephen, it looks like I might find what I'm looking for through that.

Anyone care to guess what type of finish this is? I only care so that I don't damage it and know how to clean it. Could this be like a nickel, or something? With a lacquer? Again, I know it's hard to tell without seeing it in person.

I was shocked that our local "band instruments for school rental" place wouldn't touch my sax (I took it to see if I could just get it serviced), saying they were afraid they were going to damage it! I think I was just talking to the wrong person. I'll keep looking. I got a kit to clean it, but I'd like someone more knowledgable to make sure I don't need any additional attention.

Thanks again for your replies!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It's a lacquered body with nickel-plated keywork. A soft cloth is usually all you need to keep it clean - a bit of moisture will shift most stains, though it's difficult to put a shine on nickel.

If the repairer was afraid to touch it, find another one with more 'cahonies'.

Regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! I got a microfiber to clean the outside (and the kit for the inside) and it has a little....dimpling I guess I'd call it in the finish, but just in one spot, and I'm making sure to clean it well when I use it.

Yeah, I will seek out more "confident" repairers for sure. :D

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts