Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents saved my old saxophone purchased in 1979 or 1980. My daughter is interested in taking lessons so I pulled it out to see what kind of shape it is in. It was only played for a few years and has been stored in it's original case. The serial number is N116703 purchased new. I would love some input on my old sax. I know my parents paid quite a bit back then for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The "N" serial number series was made in 1969 or 1970. Most in this series were made in either Nogales Arizona or Nogales Mexico after the factory move from Elkhart. Most of the Mexican ones say Mexico somewhere on them, usually it's on the back near the serial number. These are often valued less than those made in the traditional Conn factory in Elkhart.

Some photos would really help us decide what model it is. If it has shooting stars on the bell, it is a student model for sure. Beyond that, we need the photos.

And welcome to SOTW!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! It does have shooting stars on the bell. My first try to take pics was a glaring mess, but it definitely sounds like my sax is the student edition. I'll take some pics tomorrow when the lighting is better. Flash photography and shiny metal do not go well together. I do find the dates odd though as I remember it being new when my parents bought it. It looks like it is in pretty good condition. Is this still a good instrument for my daughter?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes it's a good horn to gauge her commitment. I would not recommending putting a bunch of money into it but if it's in playing condition it's a good start. A more modern horns will have better ergo's and more comfortable to play. If the horn is uncomfortable to play she might decide to play guitar which is a lot cheaper for you in the long run. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts